kreig-kitts

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 505 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Rent-to-own pedal harp? #105004
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    You’d probably want to check with individual dealers about how the purchase payment is made. Most have financing available if someone can’t pay the entire amount at once.

    in reply to: Cheapest place to buy Sibelius6.2 Professional? #106683
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    If you haven’t done so already, make sure your school doesn’t already have comparable software available through the library or campus technology office. They might subscribe to something that can be accessed by faculty and students at no additional charge.

    in reply to: Choosing a “green” harp #72378
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I think when you start trying to figure in things like wood sustainability, miles shipped to get materials to the harpmaker and the harp to the consumer, metals, electricity to make it, maintenance over its life, and on and on, it’s almost hopeless to try to calculate whether someone is making

    in reply to: Style 12 for sale #72519
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Does your email keep an archive of sent messages? If so your responses might include their original messages but should at least have thir addresses.

    in reply to: why do you play the harp? #106621
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Beside when I played viola and flute, I just felt that neither was expensive, heavy, or inconvenient enough, and I thought a musical instrument should also influence all interior decorating decisions for the rest of one’s life.

    But seriously, I love the sound, the versatility as both a solo and accompanying instrument,

    in reply to: Harpists on youtube….. #156694
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I also love folk harper John Kovac’s channel. He has posted more recordings than probably any other harp player I’m aware of, I think over 1,000 of solo harp and small groups.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/jgkovac

    in reply to: Harpists on youtube….. #156691
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    The first time I heard this song I thought that might be a harp. The harpist’s name (just one – it’s a mirror image) is Tom Monger.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWOyfLBYtuU

    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Are you sure you didn’t hit Dean Winters? He’s been getting in a lot of accidents lately.

    in reply to: Re: Re: What’s on your music stand? Winter 2011 #106724
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    When I had kitties they

    in reply to: Harpists on youtube….. #156686
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    It was pretty good, and then the dancer shuffled on and all was right with the world.

    in reply to: Embarrassment? #157769
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I have no idea why someone who think

    in reply to: Favorite Folk Music Arranger #106922
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Maybe it’s good to think of “folk” also as a description of a style of musicmaking.

    And like you mentioned with Ashokan Farewell and

    in reply to: Soundproofing #72575
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I never liked egg salad, but loved eggs, so went about figuring out what was missing. I thought of everything I liked with eggs that was not in egg salad, and decided to try cumin. So now I put cumin in my egg salad and it’s wonderful.

    Now you’re all set.

    in reply to: Favorite Folk Music Arranger #106918
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I agree the term “folk” now has multiple meanings. For me the two main
    ones are traditional music, which can include parlor music and other written music that
    has gotten a traditional following and is widely sung without singers even aware of the song’s origin (often the traditional versions sound
    quite different, a great example being the ballad “Lord Lovell” – I remember hearing two versions of it in junior high music class ages ago, one sung as a classical art song and another sung by an old lady in Appalachia), or
    maybe a traditional song that also got popularized enough to be sung
    classically (think of how many opera singers include classically sung
    arrangements of spirituals in their recitals).

    The other is the Woodie Guthrie variety, a genre of popular music that really got going in the 20th century and still has some following, usually using acoustic instruments that are popular with traditional music, such as guitars, fiddles, banjos, and dulcimers, and wonderfully portrayed/lampooned in the movie “A Mighty Wind.”

    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I took his comment in the video to mean he was showing how some sloppy harpists might play, exaggerating it for emphasis. It reminded me of some amateur videos of players with poor technique. I didn’t take it as a did at non-Salzedo technique but rather a demonstration of generally sloppy technique.

    Regardless, I think these are overall a good thing and I’d welcome videos by harp teachers showing either basics like tuning and string changing or playing technique. Even someone with a good teacher would enjoy something like a video of trill techniques they can pause and replay at home, with close-ups and angles that demonstrate it clearly, maybe even using slow motion.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 505 total)