harpcolumn

why do you play the harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break why do you play the harp?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    deb-l
    Participant

Not why did you choose the harp, why do you play it now?

For me it’s my escape from the world, because it heals my heart and soothes my soul, and it’s fun

Nicely put!

Karen Johns
    Participant

Because I love it.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

That too. And it takes me out of time and space.

Pat Eisenberger
    Participant

I play because I have no choice. I fell under an enchantment 10 years ago, and have no desire to live any other way.

Sylvia
    Participant

It is what I do and who I am.

shelby-m
    Participant

I play harp because I’m addicted!

Ann

It was a whim that has become an addiction, totally a part of me. When I started a year or so ago I was driven to play in performance venues. Now that doesn’t seem to matter. I play and play and play, and whether it’s in my little studio room or a church or recital hall doesn’t matter. Like my early days on guitar, if I have even 5 extra minutes I’ll sneak in a tune on the harp. It feels so wonderful and intuitive. Definitely a comfort and a gift from heaven, yes.

kreig-kitts

Beside when I played viola and flute, I just felt that neither was expensive, heavy, or inconvenient enough, and I thought a musical instrument should also influence all interior decorating decisions for the rest of one’s life.

But seriously, I love the sound, the versatility as both a solo and accompanying instrument,

kathy-chanik
    Participant

Kreig, I loved those comments you just made! I’ve never thought of playing the harp quite like that before, but they’re so true. Very insightful of you.

Doubting Girl
    Participant

I started playing because my heart was broken and I’ve always wanted to play it. I started to listen to harp music to soothe myself, but playing it myself works even better!

I love how I can forget everything around me and it’s only me and the strings. I love to learn a new song and be totally occupied by it. I love to play songs I already know and play so long that I kind of lose myself in it. It’s a bit like meditation.

I would love to play songs that express how I feel at that moment, but I’m still a beginner, so I’m working on that.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.