kreig-kitts

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 505 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Soundboard decorations #148232
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I was curious when you said it was blue with gold, but it really works. Come to think of it, I might have seen some pictures of older harps that were deep blue or green with gold and they were beautiful.

    in reply to: Harpist at Royal Wedding #106439
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I saw that high seat. I assume it was for the picture.

    in reply to: Harpist at Royal Wedding #106436
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    This harp was presented in 2006, when Jemima Phillips was royal harpist. The Prince of Wales’ web site says the harp is a Salvi when they announced Claire Jones’ appointment.

    in reply to: Troubadour III and Advice #157538
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    If your daughter does move to pedal harp within a year, $2400 comes to $200 per month, not including new strings etc. That’s more
    than a rental would cost and most harp stores will give part of your rental towards a pedal harp purchase. Unless you want to keep that harp around after she’s playing pedal, it doesn’t sound like a hood investment for your purposes.

    in reply to: Chicago Lyric Opera Auditions #148134
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    They just started. Finals are March 30.

    in reply to: Weirdest Wedding Processional Request #106352
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    As a bookstore recently, I noticed there is now a sign of its own for the “Teen Supernatural Romance” section.

    in reply to: Stretched Tuning #106462
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    The traditional idea is that the (bowed) strings slowly rise in pitch as they warm and make the ensemble go sharp. Since our symphonic band has one string bass and we still go sharp, I think it’s more of a normal tendency for groups to go sharp as they play. In general those who can alter their tone as they play (almost everybody but piano and harp I guess) generally aren’t aiming for a particular frequency, but rather whatever matches those around them, especially in their own section. On flute, for example, I’d rather be on pitch with the rest of my section even if we’re all a bit off, and hopefully we’re working to keep ourselves in tune with the rest of the band at the same time.

    In addition, sometimes the pitch is changed for stylistic reasons. For example, many players intentionally play the seventh a smidge higher when it leads into the tonic.

    Excluding early music etc., I’ve never been in a group that purposefully tuned to a different system than equal temperament, though it’s hard for me to think of a large ensemble as tempered in the sense of a piano, since most instruments only comprise a very small “bandwidth” (no pun intended) of the total ensemble range. Individually they don’t face the kind of temperament issues that a harp, piano, or organ would, and wind instruments are usually built around maintaining an even scale within their range and less on what an instrument three octaves away might be doing. As they play across the group with other range instruments everybody constantly uses their ears and tries to keep in tune with each other.

    in reply to: Pentacle..The Story of Carlos Salzedo and the Harp #106558
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I might order this soon. I’m almost finished with my current reading and will be getting a new title. This would be an interesting change of pace.

    in reply to: Tuning etiquette #106421
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I hope I don’t overdo it and distract the oboist with my prettiness.

    in reply to: Tuning etiquette #106419
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Thanks everybody. I’m going to have the harp tuned beforehand (I play with them every week on flute – we’re A 440 no doubt). I was just wondering what to actually do while everybody else is doing the group thing, since by then the harp is in tune or it isn’t and I didn’t want to just sit there looking pretty.

    in reply to: Stretched Tuning #106449
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I wonder if this is why I usually am more pleased with my tuning when I do most of it by ear.

    I doubt I could intentionally listen for and hear a stretched octave. Unfortunately my ear seems to like a large fifth and I’m used to tuning fifths from when I played viola, so it’s taken some adjustment to tune my harp by ear. I used to start a little low and tune by hearing octaves, but often by the second octave the intervals and chords would

    in reply to: A different approach to building a pedal harp #72294
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    As long as it leaks somewhere the brass players can step in it, so they’ll know how the rest of us feel.

    in reply to: another harp sighting – #106586
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Tom Monger plays harp with Florence and the Machine.

    in reply to: Young composers writing for harp #148483
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Oh, if it’s a physical handout, don’t give it out until AFTER you’re done. If they get it before, they will read it while you’re talking and not pay attention.

    in reply to: Young composers writing for harp #148482
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I’d also suggest having a handout you can give them or a file you can email them or make available for downloading, with more details. That way you can emphasize the major points and instead of getting bogged down in specifics refer them to the list/chart/handout.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 505 total)