harpcolumn

Re: Re: What’s on your music stand? Winter 2011

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Re: Re: What’s on your music stand? Winter 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    joyce-rice
    Participant

Hello,

Patricia Jaeger has just alerted me to the fact that some of you are discussing “Red Sequins”, which I wrote for the 1993 Folk Harp Conference, in particular for Tina Tourin. At the 1991 conference, Deborah Henson-Conant walked on stage for her set in the final concert wearing a short black sequined jacket over her shoulders. She got to the harp, reached around, took hold of the jacket, held it at arm’s length and rather suggestively dropped it to the floor with a crash, leaving her in a strapless black top at a time when strapless harp-playing garb was pretty much unseen. “All right” I thought, “she is off and running!” At the end of that concert, Tina Tourin got up and said, “I’m the chair of the ’93 conference that will be in Burlington, Vermont. I’m making a pledge right now that by the time of that conference I’m going to be 50 pounds lighter and I’m going to wear RED sequins!” Well! I saw her afterwards and said, “If you lose 50 lbs., I’ll write you a piece called “Red Sequins.” Tina lost a lot ( not quite 50) and I wrote the piece which she then premiered with her band at the conference. And that’s the story! And thanks for the other nice comments about my music!

Best to all,

Joyce

Thanks so much for sharing the story!

stan-guy
    Participant
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Stan,

I’m not familiar with Elster’s “Granada”.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I love that arrangement of Granada. And I’m enjoying your “Cinema Paradiso”, Stan. Thanks for doing that one.

Jerusha, Reinhardt Elster arranged a bunch of popular Latin music, all of it for either lever or pedal harp. The lever notation is a little antiquated, but it all works just fine:

http://us.harp.com/info/products/pact_show/id_19395338/

He also did Frenesi, Perfidia, Tico-Tico, and maybe more, but those are all I can remember off the top of my head.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Barbara,

Thanks for the info. on Elster’s work!

deb-l
    Participant

what an amazing place this forum is.

stan-guy
    Participant

Hi, Barbara —-

shelby-m
    Participant

Oh, also, my teacher has asked me to buy some new music because he thinks we’ll be finished with Stephanie Curcio’s book next week!

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Shelby,

I hope that your kitty doesn’t hurt your harp!!

kreig-kitts

When I had kitties they

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

My kitty doesn’t scrabble the harp at all (just the dresser in the kitchen)

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

Oh I forgot.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Philippa,

I learned “Brian Boru” as a duet with flute when I had a duo.

Faure’s “Pavane” is a beautiful song.

shelby-m
    Participant

Hi Philippa!
    What a coincidence!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies