kreig-kitts

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 505 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Any multi-instrumentalists out there? #155775
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Under the category of “at least it’s

    in reply to: Chaconne on harp! #156079
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I looked up some videos and it’s not doing much for me. It sounds OK, but on the violin it’s

    in reply to: Musicianship #82704
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I don’t mean to come off as a downer. But getting good at anything takes a ton of work.

    in reply to: Musicianship #82703
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I believe that most successful rock and jazz musicians are able to read music. And they can all count and do count. Springsteen and Hendrix and Bon Jovi and Charlie Parker

    in reply to: Move the harp into the car alone #156036
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Just don’t ask that Joaquin guy in Portland to help you load your harp.

    in reply to: Move the harp into the car alone #156033
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Loading my pedal harp was excruciating the first few times I did it. With practice it got much easier and now I can load it relatively quickly. Of course it’s quite heavy, but you eventually get a feel for the harp’s balance and know where to hold it and how to get it into your vehicle. A friend can still be very useful, especially if it’s someone who’s helped you before. I’ve found that you shouldn’t give a friend too complex a task if they’re not familiar with it.

    Generally I will lay the harp in and ask them to help push it from the base once I’ve gotten it in. This is a fairly straightforward task, easy to explain to someone who’s never done it, and it can be helpful since I can focus on guiding the harp in at the best angle for the car and keeping it from bumping anything sticking out. Also, on the few occasions I have to load it on the column, that’s a huge help since keeping it upright until it’s all the way in takes a good bit of effort, and outsourcing

    in reply to: Harp improvisation #146268
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Does your institution have a subscription to JSTOR or another source of scholarly articles? Usually this would be through the university library, or perhaps the music library if the school of music has its own library. Austin Caswell at Indiana University wrote on the history of improvisation and I’m sure others did as well, and some general history of improvisation would be useful.

    Google Scholar could help if not, though many of its results won’t be full text since many journal publishers require subscriptions. If they don’t have a subscription, Google Scholar could be helpful, though many of the results it gives won’t be available in full text without a separate subscription. Some might be available on a pay-per-article basis from the publisher or from JSTOR.

    in reply to: How would you respond? #156001
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    That doesn’t really sound like an insult to me, though maybe the tone could make it such. I’d take it as a descriptive remark and just say “Yes, they come in all sizes. It’s very easy to carry around.”

    in reply to: Titanic’s Dedicated Musicians #146105
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    My theory is that a wedding planner on board told them it would be great exposure.

    in reply to: Is starting on a pedal harp realistic? #156199
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    There’s no advantage to starting on a cheaper violin, flute, etc. either (except for those specifically designed for smaller students), except they’re easily broken by young students and children’s interests can sometimes fluctuate, limiting the initial investment.

    in reply to: Venus Seraphim or Chicago Petite 40 #69994
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I attended a recital recently with a Chicago extended soundboard harp, I think a semigrand or concert grand, and it sounded quite nice. However the 85P harp in the room had a better sound. I haven’t played a petite Venus, but I believe they make them in the same place and the same way they make their larger harps, so I’d suggest trying to play one sometime, or look for a used 85P.

    in reply to: Ever Have One of These Days? #104106
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    The evening of rehearsal was unexpectedly freezing and very windy.

    I scraped the fender of the rental in the parking garage and would have to pay for repairs.

    The usual parking lot was full for a special event so I had to cart the harp in high winds over two blocks of cobblestone sidewalks.

    They decide at the last minute to keep working on another piece so the piece with the harp didn’t get touched anyway.

    in reply to: Flying Dutchman #146419
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I’ll mention here that I find the string swell at the beginning of the overture one of the most excting moments in music.

    in reply to: Keeping up calluses? #156318
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I’d just let them go. They grow back soon enough when you return to playing.

    in reply to: Is college a requirement? #165842
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    In every field I’ve encountered, stories of baby boomer retirements have been greatly exagerrated, much to the detriment of students who rely on them before they pursue degrees.

    My prediction is that when orchestral harpists start retiring, orchestras will stop staffing full-time harpists and hire on the spot for individual pieces with them. Next will be percussion, and then anything beyond of core of strings and principal wind players.

    The upshot

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 505 total)