harpcolumn

How would you respond?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists How would you respond?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    susan-ash
    Participant

I’ve been taking lessons for about 2 years, and in the past year have played at casual events such as small parties and various church events.

kreig-kitts

That doesn’t really sound like an insult to me, though maybe the tone could make it such. I’d take it as a descriptive remark and just say “Yes, they come in all sizes. It’s very easy to carry around.”

tony-morosco
    Participant

I was thinking the same thing as Kreig. Basically just comment that yes, they come in all sizes and that the smaller sized ones can often do the job and are easier to transport.

Put it into practical terms that make the size an practical advantage and they will get it.

mike-c
    Participant

You could tell a little fib and say that you would use a large harp but it might be too loud for the venue.

angel-zhao
    Participant

I agree with what Kreig and Tony said. Reading the quote on its own doesn’t seem offensive. Was the tone condescending? Other points you may offer if the person seems interested: the earliest harps were all small harps no matter the origin; harps also come in many different types for different music such as lever, single/double action pedal, wire strung, cross strung, double strung, triple strung, Paraguayan, bray, etc.; if you aim to obtain a larger harp in the future, say something about as you progress, your harp will “grow” with you.

susan-ash
    Participant

I appreciate your comments!

Sometimes the statement is made objectively which is understandable if all you have seen is a pedal harp on TV.

Tacye
    Participant

They are just displaying their own ignorance – not an efficient way of being patronising.

kay-lister

When you think that MOST people who have ever seen a harp, have seen only a glimpse of one in an orchestra whether in person, or TV, or in books, it is understandable that they (out of shear lack of knowledge) ask about the size or type of harp.

kay-lister

Me again,

If you are looking for that little one line answer for someone that is just throwing a little dig at you . . . just tell them “Well there you are, you’ve learned something new today”.

K ;-)

andy-b
    Participant

I play both a 34 string lever harp and a concert grand pedal harp, and many times when I’ve had the concert grand out somewhere, I’ve had people say “I didn’t know harps were that big!”

deb-l
    Participant

People tend to think that pedal harpists take the instrument more seriously when in fact there is just as much skill (just a different kind) in playing a mid sized lever harp well.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I would be flattered that someone paid attention to your music and harp.

Sid Humphreys
    Participant

Susan,

It happens to ALL of us at some point, even with pedal harps! I had a passer by comment to me that her “cousin play the harp as well… but it’s a much bigger one.”

My harp is a Style 23 concert grand! *sigh* Bless her heart!

Yeah.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, what Sid said! When I gigged on a 23 I didn’t hear it any less often than I do with a Thormahlen. People are just clueless. There’s nothing to do but smile, nod, and go on with what you were doing. As Ray Pool so wisely said, “People don’t want to be educated–they want to be right.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies