harpcolumn

Any multi-instrumentalists out there?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Any multi-instrumentalists out there?

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Alison
    Participant

Playing an instrument which you can carry into the rehearsal room, at the last possible minute, is what I like to do…!
    No stress, no unwrapping, no worries and a quick exit.

In that regard, then, the ultimate instrument is the voice.

kreig-kitts

Under the category of “at least it’s

Alison
    Participant

indeed, although I am not a singer. That’s probably why acting is so refreshing.

randal
    Participant

Kreig, I presume you have a practical application for that contrabass clarinet–such as an orchestra.. I have an Eb bass in addition to my sopranos. Bass cl is wonderfully expressive instrument–i play clarinets etter than i do saxes–even though i have more rxperience on sax. Seems that there are quite a few woodwind players here–perhaps as harp is associated with orchestra? I’m strictly an ear player–jazz standards and that.

kreig-kitts

I play in a symphonic band, where a contrabass clarinet would be quite useful. My current main instrument is flute, which has been in great abundance in most ensembles I’ve joined.

Alison
    Participant

I also play in a brass band, the culture and attitude of some of the players irritate me and some of the arrangements are lousy, but I keep at it, simply because I’m still fond of the genre and I discovered when younger that playing music with others and sight reading, keeps your brain

randal
    Participant

Well I envy those who’ve the dedication and discipline to devote to one or two instruments. I’ve always been so distracted by so much variety: I hear something and I immediately want to play it…this is not helped by having a voracious appetite for new music snd sounds and web access to any kind of music!…the world is so full of music. When I quit formal studies on guitar about 10 years ago, I applied the energies that I formerly invested in continuous pursuit of solo guitar repertoire toward folk music–a very liberating transition: it allowed me to start “playing” music rather than work so hard at it–for which I wasn’t finding satisfaction in this more “myopic” approach. I still work very hard at what I’m doing, but the variety of repertoire and instruments makes it much more enjoyable. Without expectations of artistic accomplishment–I relax much more with music now, and subsequently play publicly much more often and with much less fear of making “mistakes.” I consider my role as a “community” musician and play for virtually anyone who calls–with little or no regard for compensation–whether it be for parties, nursing homes, lessons, and various bands which call. One day I answered an ad for a fiddler to play a little contradance for a surprise birthday gift the next night–so I played for a slice of cake. These past several years that I’ve been doing this have been very gratifying. Fortunately I’ve found this type of outlet for my playing, as I was always very conflicted over lacking the discipline to devote to just one or two instruments, and artistic pursuit–without appropriate performing opportunities, this type of involvement with music can lack gratification. You folks with this ambition and dedication to artistic aspiration are an inspiration to me. Rather than what I’ve always desired, my playing is more akin with craft.

randal
    Participant

Sorry for the rant

deb-l
    Participant

why sorry for the rant?

randal
    Participant

Well, after I saw how long my post was I thought it rude to blather on so..

Leo Kottke said, perhaps half-jokingly, that he plays the guitar because it gives him something to do with his hands. I’ve always felt there was probably more truth in that–and every day I think this is really one big reason I spend so much time playing musical instruments: it feels good and I can’t help but do it. I love the feel of instruments and the sounds they make…I love the music that each instrument is associated with too (for decades, especially flamenco), but I think there’s something in me that just can’t resist…grabbing something and making a pleasing sound with it…no matter what it is–a synthesizer, a hurdy gurdy or a drum or a flute…

john-thompson
    Participant
    Grant Green

I play flutes (picc, G soprano, Eb soprano, C, alto & bass), clarinets (mainly Bb bass, Eb contra and Bb contra), saxes (mainly tenor and bari), bassoon (my main horn through high school and college), oboe, heckelphone, sarrusophone (Bb bass and Eb contra), classical guitar, a bit of piano, and am now learning harp :-)

randal
    Participant

I just picked up an oboe last week…haven’t played in about 15 years.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies