kreig-kitts

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 505 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What inspired you to play the Harp? : ) #103390
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I wanted to take a break from playing viola in a community orchestra and I have an impulsive streak.

    in reply to: Another new wedding scam? #145837
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    “Your city” and “State” instead of just saying where? What’s with the date formatting? Scam.

    I wouldn’t respond even once. At work I sometime get calls at my extension for a person who has never had my number or even worked there. A few years ago one was from one of those “World Lottery” callers. After I told him she never worked here and this is a business number, he started asking my name, and he wouldn’t go so I finally hung up. He immediately called back, I refuse to answer and hung up again, and immediately, I’m talking within seconds, he called again and I hung up without speaking. The next call, again a second later, I let go to voice mail, which he filled with screaming profanity “Don’t you @#$&ing hang up on me!!!!”

    So I wouldn’t invite further communication of any sort. Scam emails are intentionally written to sound suspicious, so that only a sure mark will respond. If you give them a nibble they’ll go full out and will give you no peace.

    in reply to: Harp cart recommendation #69660
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    That is a very nice looking cart, Laurie. Despite how well I think pneumatic wheels go over bumps, I do wish that the makers who use them

    in reply to: Harp cart recommendation #69657
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    The Harpo is more expensive than others, but I love mine and think it was worth the extra money.

    in reply to: amps, more is better #69788
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Limo and Taxi are models of amps that Crate makes. http://www.crateamps.com

    in reply to: Finding a teacher and/or other harpists #103626
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    The AHS teacher directory is on their web site as well.

    in reply to: Curious Harpmobile question #155812
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Having grown up in a rural area where working trucks were common, another consideration is that many pickups have much springier shocks, better for off road work like fields and ditches. However, over speed bumps, railroad tracks, and so on, passengers and cargo can go airborn for a second. This could easily result in the harp smacking hard onto the bed, even with padding, the padding moving out from under the harp, or for a bad enough bump, the harp falling out if there is no cab.

    And in an accident, the harp could go airborn if not strapped down, risking property damage and injury to people, not to mention the harp’s likely destruction.

    Having seen many trucks in the cities and burbs that rarely carry more than a load of groceries, there might be models now that are basically cars with truck frames over them. They might drive more like cars.

    in reply to: Lyon&Healy Style 100 vs Savi Daphne 47 Ex #69799
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    For the record ai blame my phone for that terrible typing.

    in reply to: Lyon&Healy Style 100 vs Savi Daphne 47 Ex #69798
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I’d choose the L&H 100. The Venus Diplomat and and Swanson Scuola both has somebody have modern but fairly classic looks and are in the same price range. The Swanson you can get with gilding on the crown and around the base for a bit more, which would look quite nice against a darker finish.

    in reply to: Is it in print? #103681
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I haven’t seen the movie, but that’s probably the piece called Feather Theme. I’ve seen it on sale before on harp music web sites.

    in reply to: Harp covers #69155
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I’ll keep my eye out for them. They sound like excellent covers. I pop into your web site fairly frequently just to see if what old harps you’ve newly acquired.

    in reply to: Question for David Ice or any movie music buff- #103716
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    Most of these would still be under copyright, so the online public domain sheet music projects won’t be extremely helpful, but

    in reply to: Harp covers #69151
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I find the slit is in the right place sometimes. Depending on what I’m doing, I don’t always hold the column in the same place to get the best balance.

    One advantage to a logo is that a few people might read it, see it’s a harp, and not ask me what it is. Cello is a popular guess.

    in reply to: Harp covers #69149
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    My cover doesn’t seem to be particularly noisy, though I think I’d like the look of a canvas cover, especially if it folds up better than the nylon ones with the foam. I can’t just lay it in a corner when I take it off – it takes up a ton of space.

    Both covers I’ve used have a slit at the column and the back of the sound box.

    One is a bit snug around the soundboard wings and tapers a bit below. It means I can’t use a full size base cover and only a quilted drawstring base cover, but it also means the cover doesn’t ride up. Sometimes, particularly while unloading, I’ve had a looser cover creep up and expose some of the harp. I’m surprised I’ve never scratched the side when that’s happened while loading or unloading, but it’s a pain to stop everything and adjust the cover and pull it back down, especially while the harp is laying on its side.

    I’d like a harp cover with a pocket on the side for strings or a black orchestral folder. Both are light but bulky and it would be nice to have one out of the way when carting the harp. Since I rarely get to park near the entrance to our rehearsal and performance spaces, getting everything in one trip is a major plus, but there’s only so much I can do, especially since our folders are too large for most bags I have.

    in reply to: Any multi-instrumentalists out there? #155778
    kreig-kitts
    Member

    I play in a symphonic band, where a contrabass clarinet would be quite useful. My current main instrument is flute, which has been in great abundance in most ensembles I’ve joined.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 505 total)