harpcolumn

Is starting on a pedal harp realistic?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Is starting on a pedal harp realistic?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    alessandra-morgan
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m sorry if this is a topic that is covered extensively, but I looked through the first five pages and didn’t see anything, and I couldn’t find a search function.

I live in Boston, MA and am thinking of looking for a teacher soon, and renting a harp. I was curious if it’s realistic to start learning on a pedal harp? I’m not a professional musician, but I have a solid musical background on a variety of instruments including guitar and piano, and am interested mostly in playing classical music.

Would it be better to start off with a larger lever harp and trade-up after I get started, or if I can afford to start renting a pedal harp from the get-go, would that be better?

Thank you!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Sure, it’s fine to start on pedal harp. For many generations that was the only way to do it, and it worked out fine. The only reasons not to do that are financial, or if you’re too small for a pedal harp, or if you already know you prefer a lever harp or aren’t sure which you’d prefer.

But if you know what you want and can afford it, go for it.

daniele-di
    Participant

Why not, Alessandra? (Italiana? 😀 )

The pedal harp is not the step after the lever harp, they are two different things.
    If you want to focus on classical music and you are fascinated by the pedal harp, just go for it! 🙂

Daniele

tony-morosco
    Participant

If you know that the pedal harp is what you want to play and you have the finances for it then go for it. There is absolutely no other reason I can think of not to.

Although I started with a lever harp I was renting a pedal harp within months.

I love both levers and pedals, but as mentioned they are two different animals. Each has it’s place. If you know you want

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

Yes, go for it. This is not advice I would give every beginner, but you are clearly old enough to know what you want, your piano background will stand you in good stead because of the many similarities in treble/bass hand coordination, score layout etc; and you want to focus on classical music. Lever harps are too chromatically limited to handle much of this repertoire (though you can do a surprising amount on them), so you might as well begin as you mean to proceed. Also you’re lucky to live in Boston where there are some very fine teachers and a wealth of cultural outlets. So, do it!

alessandra-morgan
    Participant

Thank you all!

I just wanted to check, because with many instruments such as a violin or cello, I know you might start with a cheaper student-grade instrument that only costs a thousand or two (or less) and then upgrade, so I was a bit hesitant to try to jump right in with a pedal harp, just when comparing relative costs between instruments. I’m am 99.99% sure that pedal harp is the way I want to go, and I finish grad school in a month, so I’m hoping I’ll have time and money to start soon!

alessandra-morgan
    Participant

I’m Korean actually, adopted! 😀

kreig-kitts

There’s no advantage to starting on a cheaper violin, flute, etc. either (except for those specifically designed for smaller students), except they’re easily broken by young students and children’s interests can sometimes fluctuate, limiting the initial investment.

Sylvia Clark

I guess so.

kay-lister

Two different critters – like apples and oranges (both fruit obviously).

kathy-mcmullin
    Participant

You’re lucky to be in Boston. There are lots of good teachers there!

Jessica A
    Participant

If you’re interested in playing mostly classical music, why would you

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies