harpcolumn

Flying Dutchman

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Flying Dutchman

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Keymaster

The opera company I play for is doing Wagner’s Flying Dutchman with
    rehearsals starting in mid-March.

erin-wood
    Participant

I have only learned the overture in my excerpt book. There is an enharmonic version written out for around letter W.

paul-wren
    Participant

If the rest of the opera is like the Overture, all I can say is God Bless!

unknown-user
    Participant

There’s just the overture and the very last few bars in the entire opera to play, from what I remember. That ridiculous Wagner.

rosalind-beck
    Participant

That is correct.

HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hi everyone,
    My daugther just got the sheet music for the “Flying Dutschman” overture (she plays in a youth orchestra in Germany) and is struggling a lot for getting it through. She said she would need to have 3 or more feet for playing the original version. Therefore we would much appreciate if someone could indicate where to find / purchase such an enharmonic version (corresponding to its pedal-intensive section) as above mentioned, I assume this would help her a lot. Thanks in advance.

kreig-kitts

I’ll mention here that I find the string swell at the beginning of the overture one of the most excting moments in music.

I have an enharmonic edition of the overture, which makes it quite playable.

Thanks a lot!

That reminds me of a related topic: what do pit harpists do when they have a whole opera to not play? Do they go out for dinner? Knit? Read? All of the above?

HBrock25
    Keymaster

sudoku 🙂

catherine-rogers
    Participant

During the first act of Hansel and Gretel, I remember embroidering Christmas stockings for a friend’s children.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.