harpcolumn

Chaconne on harp!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Chaconne on harp!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Participant

Anyone here plays Chaconne by J.S Bach on harp? =)

Yes, sometimes for amusement. Many former students of Lucile Lawrence have it in their concert repertoire.

kreig-kitts

I looked up some videos and it’s not doing much for me. It sounds OK, but on the violin it’s

cc-chiu

I agree! I really like the flute adaptation – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SIF1CuNOVE (I never knew that the transverse flute could sound so beautiful… Prior to watching this video, I’d only seen little children play the flute. Somehow, I never thought that it was possible to get such a clean sound out of it!).

Anneleen Lenaerts apparently won a prize for the best rendition of the Bach Chaconne on the harp in a major competition, but I haven’t been able to locate her CD yet. (Her Chopin CD is on spotify – It’s great! I like Chopin music better on the harp than on the piano…)
    I’m very curious, because the versions I’ve seen on Youtube don’t seem to convey what’s in the original. Perhaps it’s also because we can’t really modify the sound after we’ve plucked the string? A flute player can modify it with their breath, and violin players can do a lot by bowing etc, but as soon as we leave the string, the sound is just there.

I don’t know what they are playing, but Dewey Owens’s first edition can be riveting. It is a grand piece of work. Not everyone is up to it. I heard several people perform it. But I think I have to agree, it will never truly rival a fine violinist. Or will it?

chloe c

I was watching this on youtube – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q11CIvZwABE
    This is the best interpretation i managed to find up to now and she makes me wanna play it very much.
    But i have to agree with Saul that no one can beat a fine violinist on this. For me this piece sounds best on violin.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies