Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Worst or Weirdest Gig Happenings stories… #150603
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    OMG- I am just beside myself laughing at these (wiping tears away, sides hurting). But some of course are not so funny. I think I would have had to hurt the man with the cigar.

    Keep ’em coming! :-)

    in reply to: Music Notation Software #74602
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    You can also trial Finale’s other music notation software. I happen to like PrintMusic- it has a nice scan feature. Simply scan your sheet music and edit it on your computer. The only drawback I have found to it thus far is it has a hard time scanning hand-written scores.

    Karen

    in reply to: I have something to say #108356
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Hmmm….so these forums may not be the right place for non-orchestral players, eh? Boy, I wish I would have known that long before I wasted time here. Maybe there should be a billboard across the top of the home page stating this fact.

    So does this also mean that Beginning In The Middle should only accept orchestral harpists as well? Maybe the moderators or this forum should delete that entire topic as well.LOL

    But all that sarcasm aside, I believed from the beginning that the harp column forums were meant to be an eclectic mix of all harpers/harpists,and all the various types of harps have been discussed here as well. I myself have gleaned all sorts of useful information here, and for that I am truly grateful. God Bless all the great teachers and harpists here who do take the time to give constructive criticism to all us newbies. :-)

    Liam, you and I have discussed this before- the attitudes and sometimes downright snobbery we’ve encountered on these forums, and not always from pedal/orchestral harpists either. That being said, however….

    I would like to take your pledge, Liam, I really would. But that would mean not being able to defend those who would still inevitably get snubbed or disparaged due to their choice of instrument/music/whatever. I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t speak out against those types of verbal attacks. Sorry. But I have nothing but admiration for your heartfelt and well-put post. Peace be with you, my friend, and I promise I will try to be as nice as possible. Really. ;-)

    And for the earlier post on “our beloved president”, again, I am sorry, but LOL!! Please don’t refer to him in the “our” sense. He may be your “beloved” but he is certainly not mine. Best to keep that reference to the political forums, IMO. It really has no place when discussing harps.

    Karen

    in reply to: Lyon & Healy Prelude 40 #74683
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Hee hee hee…

    But naaah-

    My true love is a Heartland Dragonheart, which I will hopefully be ordering sometime this spring. I’m not the pedal harp type- I think they are beautiful, but I prefer the look and sound of a Celtic harp. But it will be fun to get to play around with this one! (I hope) :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Lyon & Healy Prelude 40 #74681
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Thanks to all who have so far posted!:-) My friend has been on and checked out your comments. It’s great that we got some good responses so quickly. I have a feeling she will be getting this harp soon, and I will have a chance to run my fingers across the strings (pretty please?) ;-)

    Karen

    in reply to: question for those who own more than one harp #108477
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I currently have two harps, a Musicmaker Voyageur & a wire-strung Limerick. Wouldn’t part with either, they are part of my family.

    Karen

    in reply to: Damage in rental harp #159463
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I agree with you, Tacye. In fact, I have a small crack in the back of one of my harps resulting from it falling over. Little wood glue, clamp, and some wood touch-up and you don’t even notice it. Could have been A LOT worse, thank goodness I was on the grass and not the concrete performing that day. Doesn’t affect the sound or structural integrity of the harp, so it’s all good.

    Karen

    in reply to: Learning More About Salzedo? #83843
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I only hold my pinky out when I’m drinking tea, my dear. LOL

    in reply to: Learning More About Salzedo? #84556
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I only hold my pinky out when I’m drinking tea, my dear. LOL

    in reply to: Learning More About Salzedo? #85066
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I only hold my pinky out when I’m drinking tea, my dear. LOL

    in reply to: Techie Question #74793
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    The closest thing (I think) that is out there is a midi-keyboard where you can put the notes in and it then converts them to sheet music. Finale music products (I believe it is PrintMusic) also has a scanner feature, but I have found it to be of little use with hand-written scores. That feature is better for scanning music and converting it quickly to a different key.

    Karen

    in reply to: Music written (or arranged) for harp & spoken word #108380
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I too love “The Harp of Brandiswhiere” Celtic harp suite by Sylvia Woods! The only other pieces I have seen to accompany harp concern themselves mostly with singing. You might want to look at Shirley Starke’s “Voices of The Trees” and “Songs for the White Rider”. They have a similar ‘feel’ as the Harp of Brandiswhiere. Voices of the Trees is written in lead sheet format with the verse/poetry accompanying it written separately above. I love this book because it is small enough to carry anywhere and lends itself to creativity. Good luck on your continued search- I too would like to see more of this kind of format.

    Karen

    in reply to: Damage in rental harp #159454
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    So how did it go? It sounds like your instructor is really nice. I’m so sorry to hear that you have to give up playing for the time being, but I hope you consider taking the harp up again in the future when things settle down for you. The world is just a little less brighter with one less harpist…

    Karen

    in reply to: What are your goals? #84179
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I think that is an absolutely ridiculous assumption to make about any political party or president, especially about the decline of ethics in

    in reply to: What are your goals? #84892
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I think that is an absolutely ridiculous assumption to make about any political party or president, especially about the decline of ethics in

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 542 total)