harpcolumn

question for those who own more than one harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break question for those who own more than one harp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Maria Myers
    Participant

What is your favorite harp among the ones that you own?

carl-swanson
    Participant

I own somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 harps, many of which I rent out. A few are antiques, one is a Pleyel Chromatic harp that I still have to decide what I’m going to do with. But the one that I would never sell is my Lyon & Healy number 300, built somewhere around 1898 and which I completely rebuilt for myself about 23 years ago. It’s one of those with a little bust of Wagner on the column, and it’s a 45 string instrument with an extended board. That’s the one I keep for myself and on which I have given many recitals. I love the clear sound, but also the fact that there is so much space in the first octave for my right hand(which I put there when I built the new neck). There are pieces that I play that I can only play on that instrument, because of the space in the first octave. Also, the pedals are light as a feather, much like the Erards.

Maria Myers
    Participant

It sounds wonderful, Carl!

I rent a lever harp.

kathy-chanik
    Participant

Hi, Maria.

Maria Myers
    Participant

Gee, that Cithara sounds beautiful!

tony-morosco
    Participant

It would really depend. I have one pedal harp and three lever harps currently.

I really use the pedal harp most so if I really had to get rid of all but one I would keep that one. However, if it were a matter of just swapping out harps I could see myself swapping my current pedal harp for another. I would keep my Lyon and Healy Folk harp so long as I had a decent pedal harp as well. I wouldn’t want to part with it. I have had it for a long time. It’s traveled with me, and at one time was my only

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Oh my, the Cithara sounds like an incredibly beautiful harp. Do you have a picture of it?

kay-lister

I have two, the Thormahlen Swan and the L&H 85E Concertino.

Maria Myers
    Participant

Carl,

Actually, I thought you would say that the one harp you wouldn’t part with was the 1892 Erard French Gothique.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Well you’re probably right on that one too. But if I had to choose one, and I could find a good home for the Erard-someone who knew how to take care of it properly and understood the necessity for that- I would probably sell the Erard. But we’re talking hypothetical here. In reality, I probably won’t sell either.

Karen Johns
    Participant

I currently have two harps, a Musicmaker Voyageur & a wire-strung Limerick. Wouldn’t part with either, they are part of my family.

Karen

william-weber
    Participant

You have a Pleyel Chromatic? That’s 7/5 cross-strung, isn’t it? What condition is it in?

carl-swanson
    Participant

It’s in excellent condition. It just needs a new set of strings.

kathy-chanik
    Participant

Yes, the Sandpiper Cithara Nova has an unveneered soundboard.

Maria Myers
    Participant

Hi Kathy,

What type of wood does it have?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies