Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: My New McFall harp has arrived! #159255
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, Congratulations Carol!! :-) :-) :-) Your new baby turned out beautiful! Have fun learning together!

    Karen

    in reply to: Missing!? #108220
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I think you are right- it was around December, yes? Something started between Briggs & Saul about pedal harps, right? Those two have debated before, I believe. Hmmmmm…..maybe she is just really busy. It doesn’t fit with Briggsie’s character to just back down and leave. I

    in reply to: Missing!? #108218
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, I have to admit I myself am guilty of “getting into it” with certain members of this forum (Briggsie included). And while I am not the one who caused her to leave these forums (I hope!) I myself have left these forums after altercations with others in the past. She may come back after things calm down, or she may not. I did, and I am glad. :-) I feel I have a lot to learn and share, and while not everyone may appreciate my forthrightness, I know I have made some friends (Liam being one of them). We all have our faults, and sometimes misunderstandings occur when typed rather than spoken. I enjoyed Briggsie’s presence here, she spiced things up and made me think! ;-)

    Karen

    in reply to: which harp for traditional music #159274
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Derek Bell also played a custom-made 36

    in reply to: Sharping levers sharping too much! What do I do? #74560
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Are your tuning pins the through style or are they zithers? When you fix your strings, as Barbara suggested, make sure you back those pins out enough. Try to line them up with a string you haven’t changed yet. If the tuning pins are too deep, this can cause all sorts of problems, from added stress on the string to buzzing levers to messing up your regulation.

    The only way I can see that you can quick fix this (until you have a chance to change the strings)is to tune the Eb flat so that when you engage the lever it will register the E natural in tune. Doesn’t help though if you have key changes throughout the song.

    I certainly don’t envy you the task before you- fiddling with levers is kinda like performing oral surgery ;-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Is there a technical name for this kind of chord? #158718
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Open fifth, or maybe we could call it the “fifth harp chord”.

    in reply to: Fascinating traditional harp video on YouTube #159306
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    That is the first time I’ve ever heard a bray harp. Now I know what the buzzing means! It sort of reminds me of an acoustic guitar- very soothing. Nice of you to share these videos- I’ll have to spend some time going through them as well. Cheers!:-)

    Karen

    in reply to: I am in Harp Heaven!! #107953
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I will definitely keep everyone posted. In the meantime, if you want to get an idea of the harp and soundboard artwork, check out http://www.heartlandharps.com and look at the Dragonheart model. The artwork will be similar in design to the Celtic Garden design under the Decorative Artwork>Celtic Artwork tabs. This will truly be a one-of-a-kind harp. I feel so blessed that this is coming true! :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: which harp for traditional music #159264
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    If you look on the Heartland Harps webpage, the weight on their 38 string Dragonheart is only 25 lbs. That’s not too bad when you compare it to other full-size harps which weigh anywhere from 40+lbs. for lever to 80+ for a pedal harp. There are sound samples on their webpage as well. I’m certainly a fan! :-)
    Karen

    in reply to: Sore fingers and blisters – what can help? #155876
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I’ve done quite a bit of research on different ingredients in lotions and what they can do to your skin. In fact I make my own lotions, and that is why I suggested the shea butter. Not to stray too far off topic, but…..
    Stay away from petroleum-based products such as Vaseline & mineral oil. They create the illusion of softening and protecting your skin, when in reality they actually “wick” the moisture out of it. This perpetuates your problem and does nothing to heal it. Kind of like putting a band-aid where you need a tourniquet. So check the ingredients in your moisturizers. The ones that are at the top of the list are of the highest concentration. Most moisturizers list water as the first ingredient, followed by oils. Anything with -cone or -xane in the list should be avoided as well. These ingredients are silicones, and effect the skin much in the same way as petroleum.

    Ok, done with the straying…if anyone wants to know my sources for this information (other than my own personal experience) PM me and I will send you the links and you can check it out for yourself. I hesitate to post these here because of the off-topic nature.

    Hope your fingertips feel better! :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Perfectionism #84068
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    This thread prompts me to recite a line from an inspiring movie I once saw. This man kept reciting the litany “May my good be better, and my better be best” over and over again to himself. Another man helped him see how this was destroying his life, and at the end of the movie he told him “May your good be better, and your better be BLESSED”. May all of our endeavors as musicians and people follow this litany.

    Karen

    in reply to: Perfectionism #84781
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    This thread prompts me to recite a line from an inspiring movie I once saw. This man kept reciting the litany “May my good be better, and my better be best” over and over again to himself. Another man helped him see how this was destroying his life, and at the end of the movie he told him “May your good be better, and your better be BLESSED”. May all of our endeavors as musicians and people follow this litany.

    Karen

    in reply to: Perfectionism #85291
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    This thread prompts me to recite a line from an inspiring movie I once saw. This man kept reciting the litany “May my good be better, and my better be best” over and over again to himself. Another man helped him see how this was destroying his life, and at the end of the movie he told him “May your good be better, and your better be BLESSED”. May all of our endeavors as musicians and people follow this litany.

    Karen

    in reply to: Sore fingers and blisters – what can help? #155872
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Hmmm….maybe you are overdoing it? When your fingers start to hurt like that, I think you should stop and give them a break, and then after a half hour or so try to play again. When I first started to play my fingers hurt a lot, and even today if I played for two hours straight I would probably have sore fingers.

    As far as products that might be available, if you can find any shea butter that might help. It’s pretty greasy though, and is something you’ll want to apply overnight. It really helped a friend of mine whose fingertips would split due to playing the harp.

    Also, what type of tension do you have on the strings? Is it high tension? High tension strings can be a little tougher on those fingers, as well as wire strings. Maybe try playing a little lighter on them? You may not get the full volume, but as long as you follow through with good technique that should be OK. I have found when I’m deep into practicing I tend to pluck the strings rather strongly (especially if I’m frustrated with a passage). This can make my fingers hurt too.

    I hope this helps a little :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: I have something to say #108359
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Thank you Liam for the compliment. One of my favorite sayings is “Because Nice Matters”. I try to follow it -don’t always succeed- but I do try.

    As far as being a clarsair, yes, I am that, but I am also a harper as well. I do see the irony in this too- I’m actually on the other side of the fence. ;-) Really don’t like the looks of a pedal harp, and much prefer the sound of a Celtic harp as well. I wouldn’t trade my Voyageur or my Limerick for a Venus even if they paid me an extra $10,000. Seriously.

    But to each their own. One man’s treasure is another’s trash and vice-versa. I also have nothing but the utmost respect for any and every harpist/harper/clarsair, regardless of where they are on their path. I may not come across that way from time to time, but from now on I will try to be as gentle and nice as this form of communication will allow.

    PM me with the details of your first public debut, Liam. Would love to hear all the details! :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 542 total)