harpcolumn

Worst or Weirdest Gig Happenings stories…

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Worst or Weirdest Gig Happenings stories…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Harper Cait
    Participant

I’ll start… I played in the tea room at an Antiques Roadshow type of affair where there were many items also for sale. While I was on a quick break, and up getting something to drink, a woman came in carrying a bunch of heavy bags, looked all around at the available tables, finally fixed her gaze on my harp and marched up and leaned all her shopping bags against it, instead of putting them on any of the 3 empty tables right nearby. I, of course, came running…

What’supwiththat??! lol

kay-lister

That’s why I NEVER leave my harp unattended at a gig.

carl-swanson
    Participant

A friend of mine-someone whose name EVERYONE would recognize- was playing in a fancy hotel in Europe. One night a big fat businessman type with a cigar in one hand came over to her and complimented her on her playing. THEN, he put his cigar out on the soundboard!

Another friend of mine-again, someone(else) whose name you would recognize- was playing in a very upscale resort hotel in her state when some Japanese businessmen came in. After listening to her for a while, one of them came over to the harp and, while she was playing, shoved some money down the front of her dress! She just kept on playing, but thought to herself, ‘that better be a hundred dollar bill. It was.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

>

This is simply outrageous!

emma-graham
    Participant

Oooh, love this kind of thread! I once played for a smart

I played a wedding reception this summer

kay-lister

I played a wedding reception and a toddler kept coming up to me and the harp and on about the 4th trip up, he finally reached out to give it a bang.

janelle-lake
    Participant

Kay,

Miriam Shilling
    Participant

This is not a wedding story (of which I am enjoying reading the above accounts because we’ve all been there), but I was hired to play “The Fantasticks” with a local theatre company.

kay-lister

This past summer I was hired to play in a private home for their sons 50th birthday.

Dwyn .
    Participant

Yikes, this lady sounds like

Miriam Shilling
    Participant

Oh that’s a great story, Kay.

Karen Johns
    Participant

OMG- I am just beside myself laughing at these (wiping tears away, sides hurting). But some of course are not so funny. I think I would have had to hurt the man with the cigar.

Keep ’em coming! :-)

Sylvia Clark

Not my own (those are all available in my book).

carl-swanson
    Participant

Kay- That’s a priceless story. Thank you. it’s unbelievable how some people live. As a harp technician I have seen my fair share of great, and aweful habitations. I’ve gone into one or two apartments or houses where it was overrun by dogs or cats and was never cleaned. I could barely breath from the stench. How can people live like that?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.