Karen Johns

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are your goals? #85402
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I think that is an absolutely ridiculous assumption to make about any political party or president, especially about the decline of ethics in

    in reply to: Overplaying the instrument… #150764
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Here is one, amplified electric harp with orchestra. Sounds pretty good to me…

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dz4noAEwwU

    in reply to: lap harps for beginners with a budget! #74713
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I have built the Voyageur, Limerick, and Smart Harp from Musicmaker’s kits. The Smart Harp’s tone is similar to that of a Harpsicle. For the money, it is a great beginner harp. However, it does not have much projection and it is a floor harp. But plenty of strings to play with makes it worth it, plus the low price and ease of building. For a

    in reply to: Free harp music #108501
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Well, thanks for sharing, Judith! I see you have a Regency harp from Musicmaker’s. I love the looks of it- is the wood curly maple? I have two harps from Musicmaker’s- a Voyageur & a Limerick, both built from kits. I have added your website to my favorites, and looking forward to more of your compositions! :-)

    Karen

    in reply to: Overplaying the instrument… #150737
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I agree with you on the overplaying part- I have listened to many harpists that seem to play everything with rolled chords and numerous glissandos, to the point where the melody becomes muddled. For me, as a listener and a player, the simple ethereal tone of the harp is lost when it is overcome with all those embellishments. That is how I view overplaying, but playing everything fortissimo is not pleasing to the ears either. The expressiveness of the piece would be completely lost I imagine.

    Karen

    in reply to: devices for securing a lap harp #159350
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I have a leather guitar strap fastened to my lap harp. I have it tied at the top of the neck where it connects to the soundbox, and at the bottom of the pillar. If you have enough room in these two areas this should work.

    Karen

    in reply to: What ensemble opportunities have any adult beginners found? #159466
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Hi Helen,

    I don’t know if you belong to a church, but many churches usually have instrumental players, and I’m sure they would love to add a harpist. Also, check out community bands- this is a great networking opportunity to find other local musicians. I found two wonderful flute players this way, and started my own ensemble. Also, check out your local theater groups- especially those involved in musicals. A lot of musicals call for chamber musicians that play cello and/or violin, if you are looking for other stringed instruments to play along with. If you’re looking to play Celtic music, try calling around to Irish style

    in reply to: Just ordered my new harp! #159335
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Sounds beautiful Carol! Can’t wait to see the pics- Pat posted some nice ones when she got her McFall. You’ll love those gold-plated Truitt levers- did you get the gold-plated eyelets and guidepins too?

    Congrats!

    Karen

    in reply to: What are your goals? #84174
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    My goals have to be pretty flexible. With three kids &

    in reply to: What are your goals? #84887
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    My goals have to be pretty flexible. With three kids &

    in reply to: What are your goals? #85397
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    My goals have to be pretty flexible. With three kids &

    in reply to: Warm mist humidifiers #74985
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    I would think so, Carol. I’ve never experienced any condensation on any of my instruments. It’s not like the room has turned into a sweatlodge or anything like that. The humidifier I have doesn’t pump out the steam very heavy. The brand name on mine is a Honeywell, btw, and I only have to

    in reply to: Warm mist humidifiers #74982
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Hi Carol! :-)

    I have a warm mist humidifier that tells the humidity level. I like to keep my harp at around 40%. I keep it about 10 feet away from the harp. It has worked well for me for over two years now. I haven’t heard of a good reason yet to not use the warm mist humidifier.

    Karen

    in reply to: Harp for Today #84225
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Sylvia Woods Music Theory and Arranging Techniques for Folk Harp is pretty good to get started on, it covers left hand patterns in different time signatures, chords, plus contains many songs to play around with.

    in reply to: Harp for Today #84938
    Karen Johns
    Participant

    Sylvia Woods Music Theory and Arranging Techniques for Folk Harp is pretty good to get started on, it covers left hand patterns in different time signatures, chords, plus contains many songs to play around with.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 542 total)