jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: what’s your favorite youtube video at the moment? #157352
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I really like the version of “Flores de Asuncion” you posted, but picking a favorite? Oh, dear.

    They range from Celso Duarte (Sr.) playing music from Orfeu Negro to Arianna Savall playing Tarantela de Ribayaz with Pedro Estevan on percussion to William Macdonald’s twin daughters playing Brian Boru’s March on flute and harp (not the best version, but one of the most appealing), and the harps range from metal-strung to Paraguayan/Mexican to lever harps to antique harps to pedal harps.

    in reply to: tuning Bs flat #158412
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I’m a fan of the Eb tuning, because I play both classical and folk and because it’s the tuning typically used for single-action harps, but you can tune your harp as you please–no flats, one flat, and so on. Should you need to in future, just retune.

    in reply to: Picking up my new harp! #107743
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Congratulations! I once had to wait for more than four years for a custom banjo (a spectacular one).

    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Stamped SOLD on his original page. Nice-looking one, too.

    in reply to: Music for elderly folk #107763
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    How about “As Time Goes By”? Because of its association with CASABLANCA, many generations love it. “Blueberry Hill” is associated for my generation with Fats Domino; but it’s actually older than that.

    in reply to: Unfair Competition? #149440
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Is this man’s perception widely held? Do you get the feeling that harpists are generally considered a pain in the tochus? If so, why?

    in reply to: Music for elderly folk #107761
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Susan, if by elderly you mean folks in their sixties, remember that they’re the first rock generation. Instead of something soothing and bland, they might like “Long Tall Sally” or “Roll Over, Beethoven.”

    in reply to: Salvi Petit Diana or Angelica? #72849
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Re “being walnut anyway”–the walnut’s just a finish, so what difference would that make? If it were really walnut, as many folk harps are, then it would make a difference.

    in reply to: Just received some happy news…….. #158557
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Welcome, and clicking on your name just gives me your posting history.

    in reply to: single and multiple harp owners #158369
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I have only one harp in playing order and it has a decent tone, a Lyon & Healy Troubadour I. If I had my druthers, though, I might well go for something else. I play classical and folk. The other harp, an Erard ram’s-head single-action, inspires me. It lifts my heart every time I look at it.

    in reply to: Morley copy made in China #149610
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I was not able to view the pictures without signing in / joining up.

    in reply to: Just received some happy news…….. #158554
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Yes, there’s an island [name?] you reach by ferry that has a terrific farmers market and there’s a magnificent museum [name?] of Native American Arts near the university. I stayed with friends both in Vancouver and in Victoria on Vancouver Island (not a day trip). Great scenery both places and lots of good ethnic restaurants. Josephus Harps is located on Vancouver Island; perhaps they’ll be at the WHC. Gerhard Wanney Harps is located on Thetis Island, one of the islets off Vancouver Island. How do I e-mail you from this site?

    in reply to: Just received some happy news…….. #158552
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Notes, yes; photos probably not. I find photography distracting when I’m traveling, especially when involved with something else, such as archaeology or music. Instead, I’ve planned trips where photography is the focus (the Azores, black-&-white pavements, Portuguese Baroque architecture).

    in reply to: Some Neat Old Stuff #107786
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    That history of recording is fascinating. Things such as the fact that the violin’s top register got cut off.

    in reply to: Just received some happy news…….. #158550
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Yes, I am planning on going. The only other WHC I’ve attended was Prague 1999, and I loved it. I got to try out harps I’d never have seen or heard of otherwise and met people I’d never have met otherwise. Venues all over Prague (one of my favorite places) and chasing around quite a lot. Vancouver is also a lovely town.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 602 total)