jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Looking for arrangement of Amazing Grace… #107774
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Just transpose it into a good key for you to sing in.

    in reply to: Just received some happy news…….. #158547
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I wonder if he’s going to be at the WHC in Vancouver. I would love a chance to try those harps.

    in reply to: Another new harp #107798
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I love the ebony-&-bronze look.

    in reply to: Just received some happy news…….. #158542
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Speaking of Heartland Harps, it looks as if they have discontinued the Dreamweaver? It’s disappeared from their website.

    in reply to: Just received some happy news…….. #158541
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Bill Webster’s site should be upgraded. He doesn’t tell you such things as that a harp can be had in ebony finish or shorter than 69″ for the neoclassical types; you’re left to find out such things elsewhere. I really think his prices are pretty reasonable (unless they’ve changed too), and I would have seriously considered either the 18th Century or the Laurel Leaf if they hadn’t been so overwhelmingly tall for a lever harp. (Good Lord! Do you have jump out of your chair to move a lever?) It would be nice to have samples of the sound too.

    in reply to: Questions on selling a harp #73570
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Did some more research in the meantime and found Troubadour I’s going from everything to $799 (Bernunzio) to $1,500 (Atlanta Harp Center). The latter price seems very steep to me; perhaps they did a lot of work to put it into salable condition? Bernunzio is more of a guitar place and their claims that the harp is in excellent condition–well, they probably wouldn’t know.

    Your Troubadour (3842-C) is a little newer than mine (3585-C); I’m guessing late ’70s or so. The Troubadour actually goes back to the early ’60s, and the earliest ones had hooks rather than levers and had only 31 strings.

    As for a fair price for your particular harp, it would take an examination by a harp technician or experienced player to tell you. Regarding where to sell it, google “used harps” and you’ll get a number of places. If you offer it without the examination I mentioned, then you’d do best to keep your price on the low end.

    in reply to: Just received some happy news…….. #158518
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Sorry, I meant “report.” Why isn’t there an “edit” function?

    in reply to: Just received some happy news…….. #158517
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Just can’t decide whether that or the 18th century is more beautiful. They’re both stunning. Congratulations! Repot back as soon as you have it and have played it for several hours.

    in reply to: Questions on selling a harp #73568
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I’ve seen Troubadour I’s listed at $900-$1,000, but that’s assuming they’re in great condition. For example, have the levers been regulated? If not, they may not give a true semitone. I have one myself and it was just regulated and restrung. What a difference!

    in reply to: Whatever happened to Mildred Dilling’s harps? #71923
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    That does not sound to me as if her gift was truly appreciated. A coat closet, indeed!

    in reply to: Nail Polish??? 0.o #107814
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Occasionally players of other plucked string instruments, such as the guitar, will use colorless nail polish to strengthen their nails, but then they use their nails in playing, which isn’t the case for most harpists, except for players of ancient Celtic and Central or South American harps. Saul is right, colored nails look distracting.

    in reply to: Harp & Heiress Huguette Clark #107834
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    The Strad had a beautiful tone. Would like to have heard more about her mother’s harp.

    in reply to: Joanna Newsom #165875
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Visited YouTube and listened to a few of her videos. Those who say her singing smacks of the Appalachian are IMHO dead wrong. Childlike, yes. And those who say that her voice was changing by the time of “Emily,” I agree.

    in reply to: Organizing Repertoire #158571
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    That pile of books sounds familiar! It’s part of the reason for the binder. I’ve had music stands fall over from the weight.

    in reply to: The power of the Harp… #107802
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    No, just periodically break off practice to take the dog for a walk. If you don’t have a dog, take yourself for a walk.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 602 total)