jessica-wolff

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 602 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: what’s your favorite youtube video at the moment? #157364
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I like her a lot too but favor “I Love You Just the Way You Are” and the man-in-the-moon song where she talks about her mother.

    in reply to: ram’s-head harps #73026
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Thanks for that explanation, Barbara. Makes sense.

    in reply to: R Harps–Merlin #155250
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    A question, Samarpana: are the fluorocarbon strings available as part of a set or do you have to buy rolls of the stuff and cut to length?

    in reply to: ram’s-head harps #73024
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    This is getting a little off topic, but my teacher once told me that pedals presented a different set of problems. Some folks have posted here that they have problems with pedals that are too close together or too far apart, and you can’t see them while you’re playing.

    My Erard is fairly plain, with an undecorated soundboard, but the gilt is in reasonably good shape and I think it’s a beautiful harp. The single action gives you the same range of keys as a lever harp, but frees up your left hand. For whatever reason, I’ve never seen a double-action with the ram’s-head design, almost as if they dropped it like a hot potato when they went over to double action.

    in reply to: Pedal Harp HELP #107317
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    I don’t play pedal harp, but I understand that Camacs are easier to play in the very highest octave, for what that’s worth. (More room to maneuver.)

    in reply to: Column Theory #72987
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    It was your word as well as that of my harp technician that made me stick to the non-tarnish-resistant and copperwound strings, Saul.

    in reply to: ram’s-head harps #73022
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Yes, Barbara, I’d be very inclined to get one, but I’m under 5’0″ and taller folks than I am say they can’t reach those levers. What possessed him to build a lever harp 69″ tall? Anyway, Deb, that’s MY idea of a ram’s-head harp.

    in reply to: ram’s-head harps #73021
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    When all the seas gang dry…or when I can persuade my daughter to put a photo somewhere where it can be tr’d onto Harp Column. Don’t get me wrong, I can take photographs (on an old manual Zeiss Ikon Contaflex and an old Yashica ditto); but I’m hopelessly not of the computer generation. Also, I’d need a piano mover; the Erard is currently behind my daughter’s piano to protect it from the cats. I do have somewhere a photo I took of the column head, but it’s on slide film. Can you scan a slide or do you have to print it out first? Anyway, if I remember aright, it shows the ram’s heads clearly.

    in reply to: ram’s-head harps #73018
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    That’s what I love about it, those echoes of Erard! If only it weren’t so big (for a lever harp)!

    in reply to: ram’s-head harps #73001
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Yes, it does.

    in reply to: ram’s-head harps #72999
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Apparently Pratt Harps also uses the term to include scroll-tops. Perhaps they started this usage.

    in reply to: ram’s-head harps #72997
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Thanks, both!

    in reply to: Oh, Carm……is there something you want to tell us? #158160
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Bet I would [blink at it], Georgina! I’ve been fighting pink ever since I got stuck with pink towels while my brother got the blue ones!

    in reply to: Getting a style 100 #73054
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Depends. I don’t like the mahogany finish on the Lyon & Healy (Prelude?). OTOH I’ve seen other mahogany finish harps that were very attractive.

    in reply to: Column Theory #72978
    jessica-wolff
    Participant

    Saul, going by the lack of replies, I have to assume nobody’s ever thought about it.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 602 total)