harpcolumn

R Harps–Merlin

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists R Harps–Merlin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    cassandra sciortino
    Participant

Dear Harpists,

Comments about experience playing the Merlin R-Harp would be very much appreciated.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Just had a brief chance to try one. Everything everyone says about the magnificent bass is true.I found the fluorocarbon strings in the middle took getting used to.

cassandra sciortino
    Participant

Dear Jessica,

Thank you very much. Cassandra

jessica-wolff
    Participant

There’s a thread or two on the Merlin right here on Harp Column. In lieu of a search feature, you can probably find them by googling “r harps merlin harp column” or similar. Also, one of Rubarth’s two sites quotes from this forum in “What People Are Saying” or a similar topic. Meko of the International Harp Museum also had high praise for it.

I also found it disconcertingly small, though at 54″ it is taller than, for example, Hearland Harps’ Sylvan, and I was able to play it sitting on an ordinary chair. That matters to me, because I want a true floor harp that doesn’t require a special support for the harp or for myself. In my case I think it was a question of getting used to it after years of playing on a harp that stands 63″ high. I am still considering eventually getting a Merlin.

Michael Harwood
    Participant

Kolacny music here in Denver has a Merlin on their show floor. I have had the fortune of playing it multiple times and comparing it to many other harps. I have always found myself consistently going back to the Merlin as my favorite harp in the store.

As was previously mentioned the Merlin smaller than other floor harps, but I did not find it’s size uncomfortable. It projects very well and has excellent tone. All of the registers ring out beautifully, and I could not detect any significant muddiness or problems when playing.

I purchasing one from a harpist that lives in Pueblo Colorado, and will be receiving it over the Thanksgiving holidays. I would be happy to post pictures and video of the harp online if anyone is interested.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Yes, please do!

cassandra sciortino
    Participant

Dear Michael,

Thank you so much! I am only 5′ 5″ so I

cassandra sciortino
    Participant

Dear Jessica,

jessica-wolff
    Participant

I was not aware that the tension was supposed to be lower than that on a Dusty Strings or Triplett–I’ve heard it described as “medium.” The thing that strikes me most about the Merlin is that Rick Rubarth himself describes it as “passionate and expressive.” If that’s what you want, this is the harp. I have heard harps that have a perfectly good tone, even from top to bottom, but that left me unmoved. Also, I like the accounting he gives on one of his sites–the one devoted entirely to the Merlin–of what he did and why (struts, fluorocarbon strings, materials, &c).

Ann

Hello Cassandra,

I played a Merlin at HarpCon this summer and liked it very well. It has a lot of lovely sound for a compact instrument! And it’s very comfortable to play. Like you I’m not overly tall. The Merlin fit me quite well in an ordinary chair with the harp standing on the floor. I found the string spacing and tension especially comfortable. The tone is very even, and the harp is quite responsive, which means you can put a lot of expression in it. In an exhibit hall full of harps, the Merlin sang out sweetly over the din. R Harps can add a built-in pickup, too. All but invisible and good quality sound. Great value for the dollar.

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

I own a Merlin and I can’t say enough good things about it.

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

Oh yeah, I would ask for the longer gold levers if I had it to do over again.

Rachel
    Participant

I second that, I have students that have these, and I knew by the next time around to have the student ask for the longer Loveland levers.

cassandra sciortino
    Participant

Dear Zen,

cassandra sciortino
    Participant

Oh and here is a link to the camac levers–http://www.thorharp.com/pages/camac.htm

If you have a different opinion about them, would love to hear that too! warmly, cassandra

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.