harpcolumn

R Harps–Merlin

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists R Harps–Merlin

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    cassandra sciortino
    Participant

Dear Rachel, thank you for the post–any thoughts on camac levers? Diana Rowan out here in the Bay Area swears by them: here is the link, http://www.thorharp.com/pages/camac.htm

jessica-wolff
    Participant

If you visit Rick’s website, the one devoted entirely to the Merlin, and click on the gallery with pictures of the Merlin, you will see that he has used Lovelands, Camacs and Truitts at various times. Someone on another thread mentioned that RR had said he ceased using Camacs because they broke. Also, that you can request the long gold Loveland levers. (Lovelands probably also help Rick keep the price down.)

The Merlin I tried out had the Lovelands, and I didn’t like the stiff feel of them. I did like the Camacs on a different harp. These were the longer-handled type. So I asked the master harp technician who was working on my harp his opinion on the different kinds of levers. His take: They haven’t yet invented the perfect lever. It is true that Camacs can break. (I’ve heard the same of Lovelands, though.) Truitts don’t break, but they can bend.

Rick doesn’t offer different levers as an alternative on his site, but neither does Webster, and yet they are available. It wouldn’t hurt to ask RR (and how much that would up the price).

cassandra sciortino
    Participant

Jessica, thank you so much for your thorough response–that was so helpful! Cassandra

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Welcome!

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

I’m probably the one who gave out the info that he stopped using the Camacs.

Mira Devi
    Participant

I have owned my Merlin for 3 years and am very happy with it. I just had it regulated the other day for the first time, because the regulation was off on some strings. The harp technician thought my Merlin was very structurally well made. And he agreed the Merlin would be a long lasting harp. However, he complained about the flourocarbon strings because he thinks they keep stretching for too long. And he doesn’t agree with RR who says to leave them on the harp and clean them. This tech advised me to change my wire and flourocarbon strings (which have been on there for 3 years). He claimed they weren’t ringing true with the overtones anymore (or something like that). And this is apparently caused by the strings getting old, dirty, over-stretched. I have noticed a slight sound change and am tempted to change them. I should probably call RR and hear his advice first. But I do love the sound of the flourocarbons. They are really amazing. After getting used to Merlin, I actually can’t stand the sound of certain other lever harps anymore. But that’s just my personal bias. Also, I want to share with you that Merlin is really wonderful for expressive music. I take my harp lesson at my teacher’s house on her lever harp, and the songs just don’t sound the same as they do on Merlin. I think Merlin handles drama, expression and modern techniques with more clarity and flair. For that….. I swear by the Merlin (since I can’t afford the next best thing: A pedal harp).

jessica-wolff
    Participant

A question, Samarpana: are the fluorocarbon strings available as part of a set or do you have to buy rolls of the stuff and cut to length?

Mira Devi
    Participant

You can buy them from R Harps, one string at a time, if you want. They seem more expensive than nylon strings though……. just so you know. But it’s been three years and only two have broken. And only now am I considering changing them out.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Thanks for your reply, Samarpana. What about the bass strings and the nylon strings? Do you get them from RR or some other source? (In which case, I assume Rick supplies specs?)

Mira Devi
    Participant

You can get the nylon strings anywhere since you will know their sizes. Honestly, I have no idea where else to buy the flurocarbons. But I’m sure RR can tell you specs if you want to know another source. I buy from him. I’m not sure what kind of wire strings I have, but plan to buy them from him also if I need them.

deb-l
    Participant

Michael H..looking forward to hearing how you are enjoying your Merlin.

Jennifer Browning
    Participant

I’ve considered getting a Merlin as a second, more portable lever harp, and this comment about the different Loveland levers caught my eye.

kathy-chanik
    Participant

About the different Loveland levers-traditionally Dusty Strings had the monopoly on the long-handled black ones (Ray the owner of Dusty was a really good friend of Robert Bunker, the maker of the Lovelands). The long-handled gold ones were the same size as the black ones, and I think they are a bit easier to get a hold of than the short-handled ones. That said, I don’t think you will find the short handled ones difficult to flip. You get used really quickly to whatever your harp has. You can find pix of the different kinds, but it might be hard to find a pic of them side by side. Lovelands have been around a long time now, and many builders do them very well, especially Dusty.

Jennifer Browning
    Participant

Thanks for the info, Kathy.

harperboy Fuller
    Participant

Hi…I got my Merlin when I got back from Iraq in late 2009 and it was worth the wait…I’m no great harper, but when properly tuned the Merlin makes great music…The bass is so deep and I admire the way Rick Rubarth dispersed the stress on the heavier strings…Smart – if it works for suspension bridges, why not on a harp? I have been practicing a lot and have played only at a minor venue and some nursing homes and hospitals, but small beginnings are not to be despised…My Merlin has excellent projection, but I did add (later on) a Big K Twin pickup system and when I run that through my Kustom Acoustic amp it sounds even more full…I have plugged my Merlin into my pair of Yamaha 150s and it really roars, but gently…The only limitation my Merlin has is ME…As I learn more about how to play, its’ construction will push me right along…Right now I feel as though the Merlin is waiting on me to improve…Get one! Get one! Get One!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.