harpcolumn

learning Piano after harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break learning Piano after harp?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    deb-l
    Participant

no, not thinking of giving up harp, but am thinking those black keys for sharps and flats are looking mighty attractive and the price is so much less than a pedal harp.

wil-weten
    Participant

Have you though of trying a cross strung (chromatic harp)?

All the black keys directly under your fingers…

Also much cheaper than a pedal harp…

wil-weten
    Participant

I meant of course ‘thought of’ instead of ‘though of’

deb-l
    Participant

they seem very difficult to play to me from appearances, but worth looking into more.

wil-weten
    Participant

Yes, e.g. from Blevins Harps: Xenith 34/24 or Xena 36/25.

There are several other builders of fine cross strung harps.

Lots of people start with a small cross strung of three octaves, e.g. Stoney End’s Esabelle, which can be made from a kit (or bought ready made).

Jessica A
    Participant

You’re getting sidetracked.

unknown-user
    Participant

I began learning piano after harp. After 7 months of lessons spread over three summers, I am playing some of the Chopin Etudes. I suspect it harder to go from piano to harp than harp to piano – I had no dificulties whatsoever.

~Sam

deb-l
    Participant

Will, that stoney end kit looks like a great deal, and it would be fun to work on a kit with my husband.

Jessica A
    Participant

You might look into renting from Lyon Healy or getting a used, re-conditioned one from them.

deb-l
    Participant

thanks Jessica, I do look at their CPO pedal harps often.

Karen Johns
    Participant

What about portability? Didn’t you mention before that you wanted a lever harp because of the lowered weight factor?

I have a nice portable Yamaha keyboard with a stand. Not that expensive either. This might be a good option for you.

I understand your frustration, Deb. Lever-flipping can be very challenging. Lots of patience and especially perserverance is needed, but trust me, you will get the hang of it. BTW, how is ‘Moonlight Sonata’ coming along? Isn’t that the song arranged by Barbara Brundage you were working on?

Karen

deb-l
    Participant

hi Karen,

I needed portability at the beginning because I was moving my harp daily down stairs to play.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I was always a lamentable pianist, so much so that because of my fear of piano I actually stopped being a public school music teacher.

Since playing the harp, I’ve developed much more of a sense of placing and anticipating the appropriate motion between fingerings.

I absolutely agree that going from piano to harp is harder than going from harp to piano.

deb-l
    Participant

Sherry, I think the harp is more rewarding to learn how to play accompaniment patterns and timing with two hands because of it’s beautiful tone and the way it resonates.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Well, I don’t mind flipping levers and I never liked the piano. The usual argument in favor of the piano, that you can learn theory from it best–well, I can see the structure of a chord better from the harp than from that sea of white that is the piano.

But I’m leaving out one important aspect: the tactile. All three instruments I play (guitar, harp, banjo) involve directly touching the strings. It’s a more intimate way of playing. (I do like the harpsichord, which is plucked strings rather than struck strings like the piano, but I don’t want to play it.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.