harpcolumn

used Lyon and Healy shamrock or brand new for first harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories used Lyon and Healy shamrock or brand new for first harp?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Sean Richard
    Participant

I’m getting my first harp and can get a refurbished 2005 Lyon and Healy shamrock with new strings and regulated levers for $1995. Is this a good deal or should I be looking at a new model like the dusty strings or Triplett 34 string models in the same price range

deb-l
    Participant

they are all good makes of harp, listen to what they sound like and go with the one that you like best.

brook-boddie
    Participant

Sean,

I am a big fan of L&H harps, but you may want to consider the other builders that you have mentioned, or even a L&H Troubadour.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Sean,

Do whatever you can to hear or play the harp in person.

alice-freeman
    Spectator

I agree with the previous posts. Try to hear your harp choices in person. The right one will call to you.

I have had several 34-string Tripletts and the sound is fabulous. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

— Alice in windy Wyoming

jessica-wolff
    Participant

Like some of the others here, I have heard negative things about the Shamrock. Basically that L & H had set out to make an actual folk harp (which the Troubadour isn’t) and not quite succeeded. But I’ve never actually heard one. Most of the Dustys and Tripletts you would be considering AREN’T in the same price range, alas! unless you go for something like the Ravenna 34.

What kind of music do you think you’ll be playing down the road? Folk? That will play a role in your choice.

Ann

Triplett and Dusty 34’s (except for Ravenna) are not in the same price range, but there are other 34-36 string

shelby-m
    Participant

If you’ve never played harp before, I think it’s a good idea to try renting one for a little while before purchasing.

kirk-kupensky
    Participant

Hey Sean–that is a good deal on a Shamrock.

deb-l
    Participant

Kirk, don’t know why Shamrocks have gotten such a bad rap, or maybe your just that good of a harpist that any harp sounds fantastic.

kirk-kupensky
    Participant

Deb, thank you for your very kind words! I don’t know why the Shamrock gets such a bad rap, either.

deb-l
    Participant

Kirk, that’s a really lovely version of Blind Mary, one of my very favorite songs.

rod-wagoner
    Participant

I have an L&H Folk Harp and really like it for the higher tension compared to some of the other lever harps around.

deb-l
    Participant

Different people bring out different things depending on the harp too.

kirk-kupensky
    Participant

Hi Deb–thanks again! (wow–you’re good for my ego!) Blind Mary is certainly one of my favorites too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies