harpcolumn

Faure Sicilienne, Rodrigo Concierto de Aranjuez

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Faure Sicilienne, Rodrigo Concierto de Aranjuez

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Participant

I am wondering if anyone knows of a good transcription of the Faure Sicilienne
    for harp and flute?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

There is a flute/harp transcription by Dewey Owens, but I personally don’t care for it because the harp never gets a run at anything in it (flute always gets the moving line so to me it’s not that interesting from an audience viewpoint). I myself prefer a standard flute/piano edition. I have an one that was published by Southern Music, and I would presume that’s out of print now, but there should be others available. However, the Owens (available through Lyra) is somewhat easier than the piano versions.

The guitar part to the Aranjuez used to be available in Zabaleta’s transcription for harp. I see that now the only thing that pops up is his harp/organ transcription. I would guess that may be the solo part with an organ reduction of the ensemble, but I really don’t know. (I’m assuming you’re looking for solo with orchestra rather than a transcription for completely solo performance.)

Eliza, go to http://www.pilgrimharps.co.uk and click on Full Harp Index (their catalog of harp music).

eliza bussey

Hi Barbara,
    Thank you for the information on the Faure ! Actually I would like the Rodrigo for a solo performance.

eliza bussey

Thank you Patricia for the information!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Paul Hurst had a pedal harp arrangement of the second movement. I don’t know if it’s still available or not, though.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

I thought the Concierto de Aranjuez had been transcribed for harp by Rodrigo himself. Incidentally, the solo guitar part gives the guitarist a real workout. I don’t know whether it’s true of the harp as well.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, it was transcribed by Rodrigo first, but that part has been very hard to obtain for years now in the US, Jessica, unless you can find it in a library someplace or know someone who has it. The Zabaleta was what was available, although that also has become hard to get hold of in recent years.

I don’t think of it as demanding in the way that his Concierto Serenata is, but to perform it as well as a fine guitarist would certainly be quite demanding. The harp transcription by Rodrigo is available from harp music dealers, any music dealer can order it, I think it is a Schott publication.

I think the Owens transcription of the Sicilienne is the most playable and meant to be accessible. The tasty things he omits are very hard to do. I like my transcription from the score, but it is very challenging.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Is the Schott still available, Saul? So much of their harp catalog has been allowed to languish in recent years.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

No US harp music dealer lists the Rodrigo transcription in their catalog now, incidentally, although I see Vanderbilt still has Zabaleta’s concerto solo version listed.

mr-s

Hi Eliza as Barbara adviced you ,go for the Flute and Piano edition of Faure, you need first to work for writing pedals but no problem it will sound beautiful at the end, and also as she said find Paul Hurst 2nd movement of Rodrigo for solo its beautifully worked.

I bought the Rodrigo not that long ago, probaby from harp.com.

MusikFind1
    Participant

Rodrigo, Joaquin (1901-1999)

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Thanks, Saul and Clinton.

>There is no orchestra score for the harp edition so the conductor has only a general idea what the harpist is playing.

Back when this was getting programmed a lot, most of the harpists I knew who performed it were doing their own versions, using both the Rodrigo and the Zabaleta as guides.

>No arrangment for harp by the composer cataloged in any academic library in the U.S.

No, sorry for any confusion there. The only published arrangement for pedal harp alone that I know of is the Hurst, and I believe that the Gosselin is also a solo version.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies