harpcolumn

theory question

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp theory question

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Irene C
    Participant

Hello,

Can someone help answer this question.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

I probably have a lot of nerve answering this question, but it seems to me that when you are in a key with sharps, you would express an augmented interval as a sharp. A diminished interval too. Or is that not what you meant?

Tacye
    Participant

The 1st note to the 4th note of the major scale is a perfect 4th.

Irene C
    Participant

Thank you for your replies,

brian-noel
    Participant

This is not a hard and fast rule, but the higher the number in the denominator of the time signature fraction (the “8” in “3/8”) time, the faster the tempo.

Irene C
    Participant

Thanks Brian,

I still can’t figure it out,

brian-noel
    Participant

Hi Irene,

This sounds to me like a 2/4 bar, though it could theoretically be a 4/8 bar as well, but 2/4 is much more common.

Tacye
    Participant

Play it, or clap it, and see if it sounds better with two accents per bar as 2/4 or four accents (of uneven strength) as 4/8.

Irene C
    Participant

Thanks, I get it now,

Alison
    Participant

There IS a hard and fast rule, and it has very little to do with tempo !!

Look at the time signature like a fraction.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Hi Alison, Could you please indicate where this hard and fast rule resides? I have to say that in all of the years of study I’ve put in, I’ve typically found that there is a relationship between tempo and duration, and that the difference can be and sometimes is reflected in the printed version of pieces.

As with so many musical questions, I wonder if there is some theory book that says “hard and fast” and some other music theory book that says maybe ok in one version or another.

Kodaly makes a major issue of teaching duration as being totally divorced from tempo, but I can’t remember any references to the printed note.

Thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies