column

theory question

Home Forums Teaching the Harp theory question

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Irene C
    Participant

Hello,

Can someone help answer this question.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

I probably have a lot of nerve answering this question, but it seems to me that when you are in a key with sharps, you would express an augmented interval as a sharp. A diminished interval too. Or is that not what you meant?

Tacye
    Participant

The 1st note to the 4th note of the major scale is a perfect 4th.

Irene C
    Participant

Thank you for your replies,

brian-noel
    Participant

This is not a hard and fast rule, but the higher the number in the denominator of the time signature fraction (the “8” in “3/8”) time, the faster the tempo.

Irene C
    Participant

Thanks Brian,

I still can’t figure it out,

brian-noel
    Participant

Hi Irene,

This sounds to me like a 2/4 bar, though it could theoretically be a 4/8 bar as well, but 2/4 is much more common.

Tacye
    Participant

Play it, or clap it, and see if it sounds better with two accents per bar as 2/4 or four accents (of uneven strength) as 4/8.

Irene C
    Participant

Thanks, I get it now,

Alison
    Participant

There IS a hard and fast rule, and it has very little to do with tempo !!

Look at the time signature like a fraction.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Hi Alison, Could you please indicate where this hard and fast rule resides? I have to say that in all of the years of study I’ve put in, I’ve typically found that there is a relationship between tempo and duration, and that the difference can be and sometimes is reflected in the printed version of pieces.

As with so many musical questions, I wonder if there is some theory book that says “hard and fast” and some other music theory book that says maybe ok in one version or another.

Kodaly makes a major issue of teaching duration as being totally divorced from tempo, but I can’t remember any references to the printed note.

Thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.