harpcolumn

SOME PEOPLE!!!!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break SOME PEOPLE!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    David Ice
    Participant

Okay, here’s one for you….has anybody else dealt with people like this?

kay-lister

LOL!!!!!

cc-chiu

Wow, that’s awful! I’m always willing to let people try my harp, but usually, I stand very near or help hold the harp for them. If you assume someone’s a harpist and assume they know how to handle it – and they drop it…

I don’t understand why anyone would lie about it, they get discovered in no time and what’s bad about admitting they just want a picture of themselves with the harp? Alright, it might be scary to ask, but I think lying about it is scarier…
    Indeed, some people… 🙁

Misty Harrison
    Participant

the thing is not that she’s a young woman who thinks she can have anything she wants

it’s that she clearly thought you were just some worker with a tool

there was no recognition of your skill or investment

that’s what gets me about a lot of rude things people do

Misty Harrison
    Participant

next time say you’re not allowed to let people play while you’re working but next time you have a break they are welcome to

someone like that woman won’t wait around

or you could say you need a $1,000 deposit for any damage they might do but if she was a harpist that could get around quickly

then again what harpist in their right mind would come up and act like that even if they were to ask to play your instrument surely they would speak more politely and introduce themselves or give some background

David Ice
    Participant

I must say that this all happened so fast–and I always seem to get the crazies–that I literally didn’t have any time to react.

Sylvia
    Participant

FINGERNAILS.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

I’m sorry.

Evelyn Tournquist
    Participant

I’ve grown so weary of people standing around in groups literally shoving their i-phones and cameras in my face, filming and taking photos and following me around without even having the courtesy to ask if I mind.

I have started telling these people that my image is copyrighted and that they must pay me a $5.00 royalty to take my photo, film me, or use my harp as a prop. You should see the looks on their faces! Most of them just leave, but I’ve actually had people fork over the $5.

Misty Harrison
    Participant

does seem like it’s happening more but I’m sure people have stories about things like this from long ago too

I am always disgusted by the way people think we’re there for them to use however they like and as if we don’t have any training or investment in what we do and what we do it with

there are so many nice and friendly people who love the harp but it’s the few oddballs that really frustrate things

David Ice
    Participant

Wow….I’ll have to think on that….”take your photo with a harpist, $5.”

carl-swanson
    Participant

David- You should have stopped playing, looked at the little girl and said, “See Susie how rude your daddy is? If he was polite, he would have waited until I was finished playing and then asked permission to touch my harp. This is an important lesson for you sweetie.”

margaret-vance
    Participant

If you touch my harp,

My real expensive harp,

I just don’t think you understand.

“Cause if you touch my harp,

My real expensive harp,

I might have to break your little hand!

(with apoplgies to Billy Ray Cyrus)

Christian Frederick
    Participant

I would love to hear you tell this story in person, as you are a wonderful storyteller.

I got a good chuckle reading this.

Sylvia
    Participant

This thread is bringing up more memories.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies