harpcolumn

Shocking news?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Shocking news?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Some of you will be shocked to find out that I have put Bow Brand gut strings in my third octave, up to and including the C string, but not the D and E, which are still nylon. Apart from having lousier harmonics that require more work, I now have a truly seamless transition from gut to nylon. The strings are a bit thin, but are pretty close in clarity to the nylon strings.

And, the Burgundy strings I used in the fourth octave were just fine, no problems with them at all.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

So, you preferred seamless transition to better harmonics? Was that the reason for the change?

tony-morosco
    Participant

I am speechless Saul. Now I am trying to think of how we can corrupt you further.

Tacye
    Participant

Did you order the heavy gauge? If not, you clearly need to try that in the 2nd octave…

carl-swanson
    Participant

Tony- Make him lower his elbows!

tony-morosco
    Participant

Now Carl, be nice :^)

I’m thinking more along the lines of getting him to play something other than a L&H style 23.

That’s easy, Tony, just send me a Salzedo model or a Style 3, and I’ll play it! And, Carl, my elbows are lower whenever they need to be. It’s all about freedom of movement and dynamically energized sound. Heavy gauge are not offered on the webpages, so I forgot to ask for it. And these are thin. I hate losing the harmonics, but I wanted a little less “ping” in the sound. It is frustrating not having the perfect string. At least my harp is nearly perfect. I should have video available someday soon. Sooner if you want to help, Tony.

Carl: did you ever notice how low Miss Lawrence’s elbows could be when playing? Check out her video.

And making negative comments to help define one’s positive comments, I found out, is an ancient method of Jewish argument, and to me, she had a very Jewish mind.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies