jennifer-buehler

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 703 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Favorite performance pieces #61761

    Joyce Rice’s Contemporary Collection pieces especially Red Sequins
    http://folkharp.com/index.php?id_product=3118&controller=product

    in reply to: Funding requests #112802

    If you feel like donating do, if you don’t then you don’t need to. I find it odd that people feel such a sense of moral outrage over any crowd funding request. It’s some of the least in your face fundraising that I’ve seen. Several crowd funding sources also protect the donator by putting limits on how long the person can fund raise for and then that money is returned. It also gives a way for people to fund raise who might not be able to in other ways. I had a friend who crowd funded therapy for her son. There’s a pretty long story behind it but it came to a point where it was the only option she felt she had.

    That being said, prioritizing where your money goes is a very personal thing. Some people are able to fund medical missions to who knows where and give generously to the arts. New commissions have always cost a great deal of money and there has always been a certain amount of fundraising.

    I’m not a big fan of Organizations selling my contact info. Usually you can opt out of sharing though I usually like the mailings about conferences and specialized retailers.

    Some things to keep in mind–are you tuned in C or E flat? It shouldn’t matter but some harps don’t seem to tolerate being tuned in C. The windings can make a difference (see David Kolacny’s excellent book on Trouble Shooting your Lever Harp) There may be burrs where the strings exit the tuning pins. What kind of strings do you have? Flourocarbon take longer to stretch and need to be brought up to pitch slowly.

    I wonder if they have some of the old issues archived online? I think it was about 5 years ago or so that they featured Joanna Newsom. That’s when I started my subscription 🙂

    I would love to see some wire harpers as well. I don’t know who all has been covered in the past. for all I know, Ann Heymann has been featured already but some of the most prominent wire harpers are doing a great deal of scholarly research that is really fascinating.

    in reply to: What’s on Your Music Stand–July 2013 #61726

    I’ve finally had time to pull out “Stairway to Heaven”. The easy/small harp version is surprisingly satisfying but am working on the full sized version.

    in reply to: Tennis Elbow #60317

    If you’re in New York or Boston, you should have an easy time finding someone. You could look for someone specializing in music medicine or Alexander technique (how to use the body).

    in reply to: Sheet music for Innis Siar (or Innis Sheer) #61717

    The Kolle version is the one I recommend. The flute part is optional (but lovely, if you have a flute to play with you). For some reason I think I have another version somewhere but am not coming up with it at the moment.

    in reply to: Heartland Starlight pedal harp #76491

    I would not expect this to be less expensive than a wooden pedal harp. Since Heartland is striving to make the harps as light as possible they do not use the vacuum bag method of drying. Using the large autoclaves is quite a bit more expensive.

    in reply to: Shipping a harp over seas? #112637

    All I know is that it will take time. I friend of mine looked into shipping her harp to China and was told it would take 4-6 weeks.

    in reply to: O mio Babbino caro. #61660

    I don’t know if Suzanne Balderston’s arrangements are available anymore as I think they were self published and she passed away a few years ago, but she had an arrangement. It’s the one I use.

    in reply to: Thoughts on Fluorocarbon Strings? #76816

    I didn’t know that FC strings came in different tensions. I restrung one of my harps in FC a while back and like it well enough. It gives it a more brilliant sound that it had with nylon. For my highest strings I had to stick with nylon s I just couldn’t bring them up to pitch without them breaking. But I don’t think that should be a problem with a harp made for FC strings. They are spendy. They do not last forever contrary to some claims. They will go false. Supposedly they’re less responsive to weather conditions but you know if you put them on a wood harp, the wood of the harp will change with the weather so I don’t find that it stays in tune all that much better than nylon.

    in reply to: HarpColumn May/June issue #112567

    Thanks Kim for letting us know! I was wondering if I should be worried yet that mine hadn’t arrived. Sounds like it should be here soon!

    in reply to: Susan Morley #76772

    Try this website. i think they can help you find the appropriate size.
    http://www.argentfox.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=10

    in reply to: Liner Notes #112558

    Yes! One of the CDs I just bought is Alison Kinnaird’s The Silver String and it includes a DVD that showcases her glasswork so that was really interesting.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 703 total)