jennifer-buehler

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 703 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: L&H Style 150 #77369

    I really like clean and classic but, yes, it’s a little understated for a special event.

    in reply to: STOLEN! #112937

    it’s my understanding that they were stolen from her house while she was out of town.

    in reply to: Song in your head #112895

    Actually I had to look it up. You can still get Suzanne Balderston’s arrangements at http://www.harp.com

    in reply to: Song in your head #112894

    @ Tracey Kjonegaard, it’s the Adagio from Pathetique Sonata by Beethoven. It’s fairly chromatic so I can imagine it’s difficult to pick out on harp. Suzanne Balderston had a nice arrangement of it but I don’t know if it’s still in print since she passed away.

    in reply to: Song in your head #112888

    @ Jimmy H, that’s awesome! ROFL. Zits cartoon has done a whole series this week on earworms

    http://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/zits/s-1378753

    in reply to: Performance order #62655

    Thanks Kreig and Kay! I was thinking more random would definitely be better with some more upbeat mixed with the slower. I’m not too worried about lever changes between pieces as I will have some “patter” as part of the program. I always love to talk about the pieces and about the harp. I also have a set of pieces for the lap harp. For logistical reasons, I’ll play those all at once.

    in reply to: Composer looking for a collaborator #61843

    Are there any harpists at your university or a sister university?

    in reply to: Dusty Strings Ravenna 34 or Pilgrim Clarsach #77192

    Congrats! And have fun!

    in reply to: CHOOSING A “HARP TO GO” #77165

    I can’t recommend any particular models but it seems to me that Blevins has some compact, economical harp designs. http://www.blevinsharps.com/index

    I also don’t don’t what kind of repertoire you’re playing when you bring your 26 string out but I find that a lot of Sylvia Woods arrangements can be easily adapted for that size instrument.

    Jennifer

    in reply to: Dusty Strings Ravenna 34 or Pilgrim Clarsach #77179

    Tacye, I didn’t know that! I’m US based so haven’t had to deal with VAT and What not but thought it might be an issue!

    Choosing a harp is a very personal issue. I’ve played a DS Ravenna and liked it and have heard good things about Pilgrim. What type of music does your daughter want to play? If she likes Celtic/folk, she may prefer the bright sound and nylon strings of the Ravenna. If she’s more interested in classical or in moving to pedal harp eventually, she may prefer the feel of the Pilgrim.

    And to further muddy the waters, the right harp now might not be the right harp later on. (See posts by Deb L or Brooke Boddie for instance). That doesn’t mean you’re sunk if you buy a harp now that’s not what you want later on.

    I’m personally a nylon person. I play a lot out of doors in really variable weather though.

    Jennifer

    in reply to: CHOOSING A “HARP TO GO” #77160

    The Heartland Infinity has a full 36 strings in a fairly compact package http://www.heartlandharps.com/model-infinity.html

    in reply to: Dusty Strings Ravenna 34 or Pilgrim Clarsach #77173

    Where are you located? That may make a difference in relation to what’s more available and how much it costs. And renting for a while isn’t a bad thing.

    in reply to: Bisbigliando #60361

    @Carl Swanson Oh my gosh that was wonderful. Her wrists are so supple. If I could be that relaxed it would solve a lot of problems even beyond harp!

    in reply to: What’s on Your Music Stand–July 2013 #61742

    Working on Verlene Schermer’s arrangement of Swallowtail jig. I love the syncopated rhythms and extended harmonies.

    in reply to: Bisbigliando #60360

    Thank you so much! I will definitely check these out!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 703 total)