harpcolumn

Favorite performance pieces

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Favorite performance pieces

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

Hi fellow Harpies. This is Teva. I have been playing my beautiful Camac Concert Melusine harp for a couple of years, and am interested in knowing the names and composers of some of your favorite pieces for lever harp. I guess i am at the intermediate leval, and would be thrilled to hear any of your suggestions for new repetoire!

Look at some of the collections of arrangements from the classics, published by Barbara Brundage. These are for lever harp.

Tacye
    Participant

Bernard Andres has written some superb stuff.

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

thanks for the suggestions. any particular pieces in mind?????

Angela Biggs

Frank Voltz’s “Silent Night” starts as a jazzy take on the classic, flows into a pretty little meditation, then ends with a surprise.

If you enjoy startling your listeners (I do!), Deborah Henson Conant’s “New Blues” is fun to play.

Speaking of blues, one of Blythe Tait’s projects for DHC’s recent “Harp: Blues-Style” class was an original song, “You can’t get to heaven if you don’t play the harp.” It is hugely fun and will be a real crowd-pleaser. You can find it here: https://sellfy.com/p/OWjA/ . When this insane month is over, I’m going to learn it as a reward for surviving. 🙂

Lynne Abbey-Lee
    Participant

Hi Teva,
    “Intermediate” covers so much ground that if you gave us some examples of the pieces you are currently playing, that would be helpful to narrow it down as far as level. Also, what genre do you prefer – classical, Celtic, pop, religious, or all of the above? Let us know!

That said, I’m also a fan of Bernard Andres and would particularly recommend his Epices Book 1.

kay-lister

Salzedos Chanson de la Nuit AND La Deserade are always big “WOW” getters.

Kay

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

Thanks
    For the suggestion. I love playing her composition THE NIGHTINGALE

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

I will definitely try Bernard andres. A lot of harpists seem to love his pieces. I enjoy playing all types of harp music. I am working now on some beautiful French Impressions compositions by mahan and also a Celtic piece called innis sheer.

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

Kay, thanks for the info about the WOW getter music. Hope I am up to the challenge!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Teva, I think maybe Kay was misled by the word “concert” in the description of the Melusine. Both those pieces are very much for pedal harp. La Desirade is nothing but pedal slides, for example.

Kay, the Concert Melusine is a lever harp. It’s called “concert” to distinguish it from the regular Melusine, which is more of a student type harp.

Here it is:

kay-lister

Hey there Barbara. WHOOPS – had no clue about the harp. Thanks for the info ;-). Pretty little critter!

Kay

barbara-brundage
    Participant

No problem, Kay. Actually, I was kind of hoping you might come back and tell me about someone who can play “Chanson dans la nuit” on a lever harp. 😉

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

Yes, I love this harp, but it is definitely a lever harp. Sor,ry I won’t be playing the WOWGetters. But maybe you have other suggestions????

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

Thanks for clarifying, Barbara.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies