jennifer-buehler

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 703 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: New format #119079

    I had trouble resetting my password from Firefox and kept getting this error message

    You have asked Firefox to connect securely to new.harpcolumn.com, but we can’t confirm that your connection is secure.

    Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site’s identity can’t be verified.
    What Should I Do?

    If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn’t continue.

    I was able to reset from Chrome.

    in reply to: I’m Getting a Thormahlen! #78345

    It’s gorgeous!

    in reply to: Harpsicles? Or what other lap harps can you recommend? #78414

    I believe the CD Rose Window was recorded on a Harpsicle.
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/barneshampton4

    I have an older basic Harpsicle and I would say that, if you want to use for performing, you’re going to need some amplification.

    I would also do more looking at Harp models. Blevins has a number of good small harps. Stoney End harps would meet your needs sound wise and size wise. Triplett has several models besides the Zephyr which might work for you.

    Jennifer

    in reply to: LDS Hymn Arrangements #62318

    I’m not familiar with Ms Keyes arrangements but I Just recently bought several books by JM Staples. They come in graded arrangements. I would suggest a 1 or 2? You can find it at http://www.ldsharpmusic.com

    I don’t know if it’s still available but Suzanne Balderston has a book of LDS hymns. Ray Pool has a book titled “Come, Come Ye Saints” in fake book format that’s great. Something to work up to would be the books by Louise Pratt. If you don’t have Hymns Made Easy most of the hymns can be found online at lds.org. Some of the arrangements could be played as written but they also include chords so you can improvise under the melody.

    Hands down, my biggest recommendation would be Sylvia Woods Hymns and Wedding Music for All Harps. Many of the hymns in this book are found in the LDS hymn book. The arrangements are fairly easy and include chord symbols for playing with another instrument or for dressing up the arrangement.

    in reply to: Therapy for singers? #62946

    Check out a program like Music for Healing and Transition Program or pursuing a music therapy degree. Neither are primarily harp based.

    in reply to: Harping and Motherhood #113629

    I’m at the mother of teenagers stage 🙂 I keep thinking I should go play for a few of the local bridal shops but when the kids have something going on every weekend, It’s hard to feel motivated. (or with one car, for it to even be possible!) Balancing time is a big issue!

    in reply to: Stoney End Brittany? #78338

    I use a “Le Stik” from Blevins. It’s not perfect but it works pretty well. You’ll need to custom order as the standard isn’t quite tall enough.

    in reply to: I’m Getting a Thormahlen! #78341

    Congrats! Send me a piccie when it’s here!

    in reply to: Stoney End vs. Triplett Lap Harps #78318

    Is there anyone in your area that can let you try the Christina? I actually have both the Brittany and the Christina. The Brittany has nice tension and a sweet sound. It is heavy but very solidly built and can take a fair amount of abuse. The Christina has a very mellow sound and lighter tension. It is nice having the full octave below middle C. In it’s case, it’s only about 6 inches longer than the Brittany. I like both but tend to use the Christina more often because of the full octave below middle C.

    I also have a Harpsicle. The tension on the Harpsicle is the lowest of my three small harps. It does have a bright sound. I think the levers have been improved since I bought mine. I know that the levers I have don’t sound great when engaged. It is a fun harp however. Mine is bright yellow and kids love getting to see the “golden” harp. This is also my go to harp for camping.

    in reply to: Silver Clouds Chasing the Moon #62276

    Thank you! This should work.

    Brooke, What is your opinion on the taller leg option with the Serenade? Jodi got to come try mine out today 🙂 I have an older Serenade with the flat feet. Jodi is fairly tall but I’m thinking the newer foot design would give an inch or two taller height anyway.

    in reply to: Harp availability dilemma, and L&H Ogden advice #78241

    I would say that the tension is about medium. It’s tighter than a Triplett (at least the ones I’ve tried) but not as tight as the Ogden (Which is tight even for someone wanting a concert tension harp IMHO). It’s not much of an adjustment to play my harp partner’s Troubador though her L & H Folk Harp is pretty tight. Private message me and we can certainly meet for you to try my harp out.

    in reply to: Harp availability dilemma, and L&H Ogden advice #78238

    Jodi, I have a Serenade. It’s a sweet little harp.

    in reply to: Music from or inspired by the Lord of the Rings #62240

    Thanks! Does anyone else know of LOTR music? 🙂

    in reply to: Rechargeable Amp? #78066

    Thanks Kreig! My biggest problems are taking it in and out of the case so I’m not sure that gaffers tape would be the solution but I can certainly try. Is that something you find in a home improvement store?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 703 total)