harpcolumn

Favorite performance pieces

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Favorite performance pieces

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

Thanks for clarifying, Barbara.

kathryn-y
    Participant

Deborah Henson Conant’s “Nataliana” is a crowd pleaser, slightly more advanced and impressive sounding, not mention loads of fun to play. 🙂

Joyce Rice’s Contemporary Collection pieces especially Red Sequins
    http://folkharp.com/index.php?id_product=3118&controller=product

madeline-davis–2
    Participant

Yes, Nataliana is a great suggestion. I would also highly recommend Pedals on Vacation, by Yehezkiel Braun, though its a bit more difficult. It really deserves a better name, but it tells you right away that its lever harp accessible! Promenade a Marley by Annie Challan for lever harp is a fun little piece, and Variations sur un theme de Mozart as well as Sonata in the Classical style by John Pratt provide more of a challenge in the way of strictly classical repertoire. That’s about all I can think of right now, but I’m sure I could find more if you were interested.

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

thanks to all of you for these recommendations- but please tell me where I can obtain these compositions?????

madeline-davis–2
    Participant

I’m sorry I can’t tell you specifically; I don’t know where my teacher’s got them, but you might try sheetmusicplus, virtualsheetmusic, free-scores.com, Melody’s, Vanderbilt… there are several options for sheet music, and some have free downloads too! Hope this helps a bit.

Angela Biggs

My two main resources for sheet music are harpconnection.com and folkharp.com (which is the Melody’s that Madeline mentioned).

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

thanks for all the great suggestions! I wish there were more hours in the day so I could just sit at my harp and practice. when you start playing in midlife, you feel like you got so much catching up to do!!!!

stan-guy
    Participant

I’m kinda late to this thread but I’m also a HUGE fan of Bernard Andres. His Autumn Dances are very challenging, beautiful and interesting pieces and amazingly there are no lever changes in any of the six dances.

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

HI STAN! YOU ARE NOT LATE AT ALL. YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED. WHEN YOU SAY THAT AUTUMN DANCES ARE CHALLENGING, CAN YOU BE MORE SPECIFIC.? I AM PRESENTLY AT AN ADVANCED BEGINNER/INTERMEDIATE LEVEL, DO YOU THINK THESE PIECES WOULD BE APPROPRIATE? HOW ARE THEY CHALLENGING?

kreig-kitts

Teva, for advanced beginner/intermediate, you might try Nancy Gustavson. I don’t think I saw her mentioned on this thread, but on other lever harp threads her pieces have been mentioned. She wrote some gorgeous beginner/intermediate lever harp music. She also wrote a couple collections for pedal harp, so check that before buying. Pacific Sketches and The Magic Road are two collections of lever harp music. Most of the harp music stores already mentioned would have her music.

teva-benshlomo–2
    Participant

thanks Kreig. I have not heard of Nancy Gustavson, so I appreciate your enlightening me!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.