harpcolumn

What’s on Your Music Stand–July 2013

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire What’s on Your Music Stand–July 2013

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi everyone!
    What are you working on these days? I know that it’s early in the year for Christmas music, but I’m getting a head start on arranging some Christmas songs for December.
    Let me know how you’re doing!

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

A wonderful friend I met at South Eastern Harp had an arrangement published in the Winter 2012 Folk Harp Journal, “Heaven’s Young Son, Slumber” arranged by Mary Umbarger. I had never heard it, but it is a sweet lullaby to the baby Jesus, and easily playable. (So yes, I am onto Christmas music as well.) I always have to practice Sunita’s “In the Bleak Mid Winter” as one of my favorites.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Sherj!
    I have that issue. I will sight read “Heaven’s Young Son, Slumber” tomorrow. Thanks for the wonderful tip! (I also play “In the Bleak Mid Winter” every Christmas.)

I’ve finally had time to pull out “Stairway to Heaven”. The easy/small harp version is surprisingly satisfying but am working on the full sized version.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Jennifer,
    Awesome!
    I haven’t learned the full-sized version yet. Please let us know what you think of it when you learn it!

brook-boddie
    Participant

Working on Angi Bemiss’ arrangement of the Schumann “Traumerei” to play at Harp Journeys in September. I just put that issue of Folk Harp Journal in the recycling bin the other day. Darn in! 🙂

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Brook!
    I have a version of “Traumerei” for flute and harp, arranged by the Brocks. I never did sight read my part for it, but I adore Schumann!

I’m learning “Romance” anonymous, arranged by Susan Scott.

Allison Stevick
    Participant

I’ve been enjoying “Stairway to Heaven”–which I started after suggestions in the last “What’s on your music stand?” post. 🙂
    Also, I’m trying to become more comfortable singing while playing.
    I’m not actually doing anything else *new*, but I am trying to memorize more of the tunes I regularly play.
    In about 8 weeks, I am moving to St. Andrews, Scotland, and will be saying a sad but *temporary* goodbye to my lovely harp (my family will be there for one year, then returning to the States). I’m just spending as much time as I can playing, playing, playing everything I know before then! (Thankfully, I will have a lap harp while living there, but it’s not the same as my Delight…) I look forward to learning more about traditional Scottish music while I am there, and expanding my repertoire!

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Allison,
    How interesting that you have a chance to go to Scotland! Some of my ancestors lived there before moving to England. And what a wonderful place in which to learn traditional Scottish harp music!
    I have a friend who owns a Delight; she just loves it! How do you like your harp?

Allison Stevick
    Participant

I never would have thought I’d even get to *visit* Scotland, let alone live there for a year! I had some ancestors from Fife (right where I’ll be, coincidentally) a few generations back, and I just couldn’t be more excited to go, for the musical opportunities, and so many other reasons!
    And, I love my harp. I know carbon fiber isn’t for everyone, but it is exactly what I need. 🙂

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Romance is a wonderful piece! I used to play it in church during communion, as part of a flute harp duo, and it was always well received.

andee-craig
    Participant

I am reviving some of my older pieces which I stopped playing and am bringing them back into my current repertoire. A few of those are The Blackbird (set dance) MacAllistrum’s March, The Miser’s Purse.

I am putting the finishing touches on Lament for Limerick and working up Tell Her I Am.

I’m also putting together an hours’ worth of music for two performances coming up, one in August and one in September.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Andee,
    These pieces sound great! How long has it been since you’ve played them? Will it take you long to revive them? It’s also neat that you play in public! Where do you play?

andee-craig
    Participant

Hi Jerusha! I haven’t played the Blackbird in about 10 years, maybe the same for the march. The Miser’s Purse I have revived more recently, but constantly lose the left hand due to it being a bit complicated and then I go a while with not having it under my fingers at all. I always find it easier to revive an old piece than learn a new one (of course!) so it won’t take long to get them polished up again. I’m almost there.

The first little performance is part of the ‘Music at the Abbey’ series and is just different musicians playing in the Kirkstall Abbey on Sundays in the summer. It’s fairly casual and people turn up with folding chairs and picnic blankets and sit outside on the grassy bit of the cloisters. For those who want to sit just inside where I am on the stone floor and steps I bring loads of old cushions and blankets and a few folding chairs.

Kirkstall Abbey is a gorgeous 12th century abbey in Leeds, check it out–I’m too lazy to put the link here.

The second performance is part of the Saltaire Festival which runs all September long and music is just a part of it. There are multiple stages, we’re (husband and I) on the Roberts Hall Park stage. If the weather is good it will be fantastic!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies