harpglo-jean

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Classical Lever Music #87078
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Hi Sherry,

    I have a lap harp music book by Suzanne Guildimann, “Pastime With Good Company” that has this tune, “Sellenger’s Round”….It’s a really simple version and of course can be played on a large harp as well…Suzanne always includes a brief history of each of her songs and on this one she states, “A circle dance popular with Morris dancers, “Sellenger’s Round” was originally danced around the Maypole.

    in reply to: Curly Wurly’s New Harp Picture #68211
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Hi John,

    Yes!, there’s room for all types of harps….and your Veracruz harp is beautiful, along with its sound!… I listened to some of your audios and you play magnificent!….I’ve just seen these harps around in different Mariachi bands, but know nothing about them, so, I have a few questions….How many strings does yours have?..and what type of levers are on it? and how much do they typically cost? and where would one go to purchase one?…I once heard La Bamba played on this type of harp and it sounded so great!…….

    Welcome to the Harp Column Forum!..

    Gloria

    in reply to: Switching harps #164336
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Welcome to the harp world Margaret!….I don’t think of it as making a “switch”,(to pedal) but more of an “addition,” and of course, additional learning to use the pedals…I love all harps! and although I’ve only been playing for 2 years now, and have a small repetoire, I’d add a pedal immediately, if finances weren’t so limited…(Currently, I have two Dustys, a 36S & Ravenna 26)…and if I add a pedal (I also love the Venus Penti, and Salvi Arion) that would be great!…I love classical music played on a pedal, and celtic/medieval on a lever…so don’t get rid of your Ravenna 34!

    in reply to: Talented Students #87557
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Bravo Saul!…so well said!!…I really needed to read those words, as my own note reading is not the greatest, and sometimes I am intimated by other harpers/harpists.

    in reply to: A first for me #164403
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Oooh, sounds like my type of gig!….however, I still have yet to do one, trying to build my repetoire and steady my nerves a bit more….but, I was wondering Kay, did anyone talk to you while you were in the midst of playing and, if so, how did that go (i.e. were you still able to play and talk at the same time?)….just curious…


    Thanks,
    Gloria

    in reply to: MeadoWind 36 Harp #164446
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Congratulations Valerie on your FH26….that’s a great harp!….”Dusty’s Rock”!!

    in reply to: MeadoWind 36 Harp #164442
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Hi Jerusha,

    I currently have a Dusty FH36S in Walnut…which also has a very beautiful tone…(very mellow)..it’s 3 years old now and really has its voice…I can’t say enough about the great workmanship and sound of the Dustys….so, I better sign off…

    Gloria

    in reply to: MeadoWind 36 Harp #164440
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    I just wanted to put a “plug” in for the Ravenna 26…I just bought one yesterday…have been playing it for hours now, and cannot believe the wonderful big sound that comes out of this small harp! it’s great!!..I already have a bigger Dusty and wanted a smaller, lighter harp to cart around for lessons and my harp ring, and was considering (forever) all the other brands, and played a few of them while I was at this music store (“Folk Mote” in Santa Barbara, ca, (got a great deal!)..but the Ravenna was by far the winner, and I love the drop-down leg…works really well and I got it fully levered…..anyway, not sure if this helps, but thought I’d contribute….

    in reply to: Harp Volume #164470
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Well, I thought I’d put my “two cents” in on this subject, and it pains me to say this but, unfortunatley, it’s true, not everyone loves the sound of the harp…..my adult daughter for one, because when she was living at home with us hated the sound of my harp (a beautiful 36FH Dusty Strings in [mellow] walnut)..I was quite dumbfounded and a little hurt when she told me!…I thought it would be as relaxing and enjoyable for her, as it was, and is for me, my husband, relatives, and even my dog…and I play pretty good, and tried to play my songs as softly as possible, but the comments of how “plinky” and “annoying” it sounded didn’t help..it got to the point where I would cease to practise when she was in the house, or take it out after 10p.m., which I do quite frequently now that she’s moved….I still wonder if it had something to do with her hearing, but I really don’t think so..she just found it annoying….however, I’m still hoping that some day she will come to enjoy it as much as I absolutely do…and I believe that she is truly in the minority, because most people love its sound….

    in reply to: Where do the bad harp go? #73665
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Saul, That was a GREAT response to this annoying annonymous poster…. MADE ME REALLY LAUGH : ^) …THANKS FOR THAT ONE!!!

    Gloria

    in reply to: Who is John Doe, vote now! #109907
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    John Pratt in San Pedro, Ca???…I live in San Pedro, CA..and I’ve never heard of this harpist living here….isn’t John Pratt in Utah??…..

    Anyway, I vote that this “John Doe” dude is just “pulling all of our legs” and having a good time doing it….So, “John Doe”, it’s time to reveal who you really are….puhleeze!!!!!!!!!

    in reply to: ANOTHER String ? #164705
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    I also use the same thing as Response No. 6….”a washer and a bead”….

    in reply to: Harp decal for back window of car #161209
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    I like the idea of a harp decal, might order one of those!…..however, I still want to get a license plate frame for my car that says, “Harpers work like the devil, to play like an angel”…..really sums it up for me!….hmmmm, I’ll have to make a trip out to the mall soon for that..

    in reply to: What’s your favorite-looking harp? #110683
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Love the look of the “Anne” 26-string harp by Stoney End….

    in reply to: Where are you? #110338
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    I live in San Pedro, CA, otherwise known as the Port of Los Angeles…and where the opening to the old t.v. show Love Boat was shot, capturing our beautiful Vincent Thomas Bridge and World Cruise Center….Not too many harps here either, but luckily, and I guess miraculously, my harp teacher, Heather, lives only 3 blocks away, making me want to roll my Dusty over to house on nice warm days….

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 168 total)