harpcolumn

Switching harps

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Switching harps

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    margaret-helminiak
    Participant

Hello to you all.

andy-b
    Participant

Hi, Margaret:

I think very, very few of us actually go through our harp journey on only one harp.

Margaret, like you I was new to harp. I had 3 lessons on my teacher’s Camac Atlantide Prestige, and I just had to have a pedal harp. I was already pretty advanced in music, as a teacher with a master’s, but not on harp. I knew I wanted to play concert music….lots of impressionism…..lots of French stuff. I began lessons about January 15 on an old Troubadour I, and I had a pedal harp in my living room on February 16 of 2006. For me, it was the right thing.

harpglo-jean
    Participant

Welcome to the harp world Margaret!….I don’t think of it as making a “switch”,(to pedal) but more of an “addition,” and of course, additional learning to use the pedals…I love all harps! and although I’ve only been playing for 2 years now, and have a small repetoire, I’d add a pedal immediately, if finances weren’t so limited…(Currently, I have two Dustys, a 36S & Ravenna 26)…and if I add a pedal (I also love the Venus Penti, and Salvi Arion) that would be great!…I love classical music played on a pedal, and celtic/medieval on a lever…so don’t get rid of your Ravenna 34!

kay-lister

Hi Margaret – Welcome to the group.

rod-c
    Participant

Margaret:

I, too, am starting to think about a pedal harp. I”ve been playing for six months, and got a new Lyon Healy Prelude in March, thinking I would never need or want a pedal harp. Well…that was

Anonymous
    Inactive

After over 60 years of dealing with harps and harpists, I do have one serious word of advice for new harpists.

unknown-user
    Participant

Oh boy, does this ever strike a ‘chord.’ *ducks!*

I approached my interest in the harp with the desire to be a Celtic/folk player

unknown-user
    Participant

Like Ted, I also mainly play celtic music, so I play a lever harp which is my first harp, now I’m determined to get a new one because I want a more “celtic” sound, different levers and a lighter harp to carry around but

unknown-user
    Participant

Or there’s the idea that I have, which is that I really don’t desire a pedal harp at all. I’m sure my perspective is limited, but after spending many years as a classical pianist I am finding great release in the Celtic/folk/traditional styles. Also I love the portability of the lever harp.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

AND, if you are on the fence, there is some wonderful contemporary music written for lever harp, and approaching some of that work is my goal. Unfortunately I was not able to hear Laura Zaerr’s new piece at Somerset, but my teacher did look at one of her (LZ) books for me, and said she thought I would be able to start some of the pieces in about a year.

So no one should ever be ashamed to feel one way or another, or to stay on the fence. It’s all good.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Sherry, Laura has recorded many of her solo works as well as the Celtic Concerto. “A Thousand Dreams Away” has a lot of the stuff from Dancing with the Stars (named long before the TV show).

I would have loved to have heard her new concerto, too.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

……and I have a birthday gift certificate that will go right to that recording! Thank you for reminding me Barbara!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies