harpglo-jean

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: You Tube #104158
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    that was hilarious!! thanks for sharing….beautiful harp…and after reading a few of those posts, it looks like Craig Ferguson does play the harp, but it said that this particular clip might’ve been “dubbed” by another harpist…………too funny!

    in reply to: You Tube #104156
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Yes, Rod, I’ve seen that one….beautiful piece!….I’ve just ordered her book, “Traditional Tunes from Cornwall for Pedal or Celtic Harp”…and can’t wait to get it, so I can start learning the Cornish tune, “The Parting”…(that’s also on YouTube with her harp ring “Harper’s Bizarre”)…

    Gloria

    in reply to: You Tube #104151
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Hi Jerusha!

    I really enjoy Sarah Deere-Jones…(too many videos to list), but she’s brilliant on all of her harps…. and Anne Von Schothorst, from the Netherlands….love her original pieces..my personal favorite is:

    “A Bird Came Flying” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBrSypv7y_E….she plays so beautifully on her Salvi Daphne 44…

    Gloria

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145253
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    yes Linda, I think you might be referring to me..I drive an ’03 Camry..and have folded the seats down, forward, backward….you name it..and still cannot get my big Dusty 36S w/case, in that car….my harpmobile of choice now is exclusively the Ford Explorer..

    Happy harping!
    Gloria

    in reply to: Can I use fishing line? #166791
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Yup…it’s possible…just check out Sara Deere-Jones playing on a reproduction of a 15th Century Gothic (small) harp..she even states (page 7 of comments) that: “fishing line” was used to string it with…incredible! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bf1bFOf4Gg

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145244
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Barbara, I just went out to the garage with my harp case to give your suggestion another try, and it really doesn’t work..can’t close the doors without it hitting either the top or bottom of the harp…I also moved up the passenger seat and tried to angle it in, but to no avail (center console was in the way)…the Dusty case is just so bulky, but I wouldn’t even consider transporting my harp without it..

    Thanks anyway!

    Gloria

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145241
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Okay, I’ve read most of these posts, and cannot believe the types of

    in reply to: Anyone name their harps? #105491
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Hi Fairy Reel,

    There was a huge thread already done on this topic…just use the Search box above and type in “harp names” or “names for your harp”…and a bunch of previous posts will pop up…

    BTW, my harps’ names are “EmmaAnastasia” (for my Dusty 36S) and

    in reply to: World beater lever harps! #68507
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Hi Curls,

    I also have a Dusty 36S in Walnut (tone is a bit mellower) and I concur completely with what Jerusha says….

    My teacher plays one in Wenge wood and the tone, to me, seems much brighter, but still very beautiful…Dustys have such an even tone throughout…I also have a Dusty Ravenna 26, and for a small harp with a laminated soundboard, the sound is still very full..I enjoy playing early music and celtic music on my harps, which sounds wonderful….Triplett is also a very lovely sounding harp, as well as the L&H Ogden, which I already mentioned on your other thread..

    Gloria

    in reply to: Ems harps #161331
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Hi Chris,

    If you want to order from the USA..I ordered my Ravenna 26 from Folk Mote Harp Shop in Santa Barbara, California (www.folkmote.com)…They have great prices.

    in reply to: Ems harps #161324
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Hi Chris,

    Try Clive Morley Harps in England (Gloucester) they have the Ravenna 26, and quite a few other types of harps (www.morleyharps.co.uk/acatalog) and there’s also a sound sample of it on YouTube.com…just type in Ravenna 26.

    Good luck to you….


    in reply to: GOOD experiences with cheap “ebay” harps? #163571
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Hi Kelly,

    If you want to “rent” a harp try the Harp Connection in Salem, MA (Harpconnection.com).

    in reply to: Thanksgiving “Performance” #163843
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Good point Audrey…thanks for that tip!…however, I do feel I’ve done more of ..”if you get nervous, you can flub something that you’ve never once flubbed before and never again…”

    Slainte,
    Gloria


    in reply to: Thanksgiving “Performance” #163840
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Hi Lisa,

    I also have horrible performance jitters, and I’ve been playing harp now for two years. I’m in a harp ensemble, which does help, because each of us has to perform a solo every month, but still not the easiest thing to do…So, I’m also trying to perform in front of as many people as possible, and in different rooms too, because I have a tendency, when nervous or not in my comfort zone, to mix up my strings, or completely forget, or leave out a measure or two..I know there are some good books on this, “The Game of Music” is one of them, and I love what Pamela Bruener (great harper) says to herself before each piece, “I will play this with ease”…and I’m hoping that it will indeed get easier with more exposure time….good luck to us all!

    Gloria

    in reply to: Italian Music Suggestions for wedding #163898
    harpglo-jean
    Participant

    Vissi d’Arte….by Puccini, is very lovely also….

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 168 total)