ANOTHER String ?

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

kay-lister on #164698

To my lever harp friends – what do you use to anchor your strings/knots within the sound box. I have heard of several different items used from nylon pieces to paper clip parts.

Participant
    Kelly R on #164699

I use cut up pieces of other stings (larger ones)

Participant
    unknown-user on #164700

Yep, me too, cut up bits of 5th octave strings.

tony-morosco on #164701

Like the others, I use a piece of a thicker string.

tony-morosco on #164702

Oh, and an interesting tidbit. There is an actual name for that anchor. It is called a Spline.

The late Mr. Henry of International Music Inc. taught me that.

Participant
    unknown-user on #164703

Hmm… So interesting to see all the different results.. LOL I personally use a round leather washer(spelled right? LOL) and a bead!! Isn’t that different!?!? Haha

Participant
    rod-c on #164704

Hi Kay:

Participant
    harpglo-jean on #164705

I also use the same thing as Response No. 6….”a washer and a bead”….

Participant
    Evangeline Williams on #164706

Tony,

What was Mr. Henry like?

tony-morosco on #164707

He was a very nice person, and knew more about harps than anyone I ever met. When I was just learning he was very patient with me as well. He would check gauges on strings I needed to replace because I could never figure out the correct way to identify them. He would find almost any piece of music I wanted. He even gave me instructions on how to make a carrying case for my first harp out of an old sleeping bag.

And of course he introduced me to the woman who became my harp teacher.

I remember his office was a mess, piles of music and books everywhere, but his workshop on the second floor was always immaculate. The first time I visited when I was looking to buy my first harp he led me upstairs and turned on the light and I saw lines and lines of harps. It was the first time I had ever seen that many harps in one place and it was absolutely amazing.

He was a bit old fashioned at times. I think that he liked to see men take up the harp because it had become so associated as a “woman’s instrument”, and so I often got the feeling he was extra encouraging to me because of that.

Participant
    unknown-user on #164708

Hi Evangeline,

Miss Chalifoux spoke very highly of him. I also heard he was very kind to students, and had good harps in his showroom that he would allow the students to come and play.

Participant
    Mary Ellen Fitzgerald on #164709

I bought a used Hidden Valley Harp this year and they have a little metal bar.

Participant
    Mary Ellen Fitzgerald on #164710

Yikes- I’m sorry.

Participant
    Evangeline Williams on #164711

What about beads?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.