harpcolumn

ANOTHER String ?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists ANOTHER String ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

To my lever harp friends – what do you use to anchor your strings/knots within the sound box. I have heard of several different items used from nylon pieces to paper clip parts.

Kelly R
    Participant

I use cut up pieces of other stings (larger ones)

unknown-user
    Participant

Yep, me too, cut up bits of 5th octave strings.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Like the others, I use a piece of a thicker string.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Oh, and an interesting tidbit. There is an actual name for that anchor. It is called a Spline.

The late Mr. Henry of International Music Inc. taught me that.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hmm… So interesting to see all the different results.. LOL I personally use a round leather washer(spelled right? LOL) and a bead!! Isn’t that different!?!? Haha

rod-c
    Participant

Hi Kay:

harpglo-jean
    Participant

I also use the same thing as Response No. 6….”a washer and a bead”….

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

Tony,

What was Mr. Henry like?

tony-morosco
    Participant

He was a very nice person, and knew more about harps than anyone I ever met. When I was just learning he was very patient with me as well. He would check gauges on strings I needed to replace because I could never figure out the correct way to identify them. He would find almost any piece of music I wanted. He even gave me instructions on how to make a carrying case for my first harp out of an old sleeping bag.

And of course he introduced me to the woman who became my harp teacher.

I remember his office was a mess, piles of music and books everywhere, but his workshop on the second floor was always immaculate. The first time I visited when I was looking to buy my first harp he led me upstairs and turned on the light and I saw lines and lines of harps. It was the first time I had ever seen that many harps in one place and it was absolutely amazing.

He was a bit old fashioned at times. I think that he liked to see men take up the harp because it had become so associated as a “woman’s instrument”, and so I often got the feeling he was extra encouraging to me because of that.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Evangeline,

Miss Chalifoux spoke very highly of him. I also heard he was very kind to students, and had good harps in his showroom that he would allow the students to come and play.

I bought a used Hidden Valley Harp this year and they have a little metal bar.

Yikes- I’m sorry.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

What about beads?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.