Donna O

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: New format #118164
    Donna O
    Participant

    Thanks Kim, I just turned on screen rotation and it worked. DonnaO

    in reply to: New format #118104
    Donna O
    Participant

    Hugh amd Kim, thanks for your responses. I can’t figure out how to take a screenshot on the tablet. For some strange reason the navigate button just started working. At least I can get around now. It’s not as easy to find things on the tablet as title bar does not display like it does on the pc. I’m sure I’ll figure it out in time. Thanks again DonnaO

    in reply to: Dusty Strings FH34 or Blevins Consort 34? #78371
    Donna O
    Participant

    Rachel, when I was looking for my harp, I contacted Dwight Blevins re 2 10 yr old rental harps and he wrote back saying that assuming the harp was in reasonably good condition for a rental that it was worth between $1200 to $1500. (a Meadowwind and an Encore) A harp that been out on rental is not always taken care of the way we would take care of it. Just be cautious. I opted for a new Dusty because of the sound and the 5 yr warranty. If you have can have an experienced harp tech look at the Blevins you will have a better idea of what it is worth

    in reply to: Most DURABLE harp? #78357
    Donna O
    Participant

    Rachael, I looked at both of those models before I purchased my Crescendo this past January. The Blevins are very solid sturdy harps as are the Dustys. I happened to prefer the sound of the Crescendo better. I wanted a more portable harp than my Prelude 40. You can’t really go wrong with either choice.

    in reply to: Best tuner under $20? #78348
    Donna O
    Participant

    I too have both Korgs and the Snark-2. I much prefer the Snark. It’s much easier to use.

    in reply to: I’m Getting a Thormahlen! #78340
    Donna O
    Participant

    Jodi,
    Congratulations on your new harp. The Serenade is a gorgeous sounding harp. Upon the Willows by Brook Boddie is available from Melody’s @ http://www.folkharp.com. It is easy to learn and beautiful to play. I actually play it on my Prelude. One of my favorites. DonnaO

    in reply to: SAUL! #113612
    Donna O
    Participant

    Saul,
    Never got a chance to thank you for referring me to Faye Seeman when I was just starting to look for a harp teacher. She referred me to one of her students and now 7 1/2 years later I am still taking lessons with him. Thank you so much.

    in reply to: SAUL! #113610
    Donna O
    Participant

    I concur. It’s good to see your contributions again.
    DonnaO

    in reply to: Harpcart for lever harps #78307
    Donna O
    Participant

    Tracy, I know you said you can’t spend the money right now, but I would not risk moving a Prelude without a cart designed to move a rounded back full size harp. I have a 40 string prelude and I use a regular harp cart. I purchased one of those smalIer aluminum carts, thinking I could use it but it does not work. I do use it for my Dusty Strings harp which has a flat back. I got my harp cart for 1/2 the cost by purchasing a used one through HarpColumn. You will then have it when you move to pedals. Watch the classifieds, they do come up occasionally.
    DonnaO

    in reply to: Adult WON’T trim her fingernails #89935
    Donna O
    Participant

    Elisa, I remember my very first lesson as an older adult student, one of the first things my teacher told me was my nails had to be very short and I was to wear no bling. It was an expectation and not open for debate. He even checked on my nails at my second lesson. Now like Kay, I can’t stand when my nails start to get long.
    I guess I might have a discussion with her about how badly she really wants to play the harp.

    in reply to: Salvi levers, please help #78270
    Donna O
    Participant

    Nancy, I am not sure where you are located, but Lyon Healy sells Salvi levers on their website at harp.com. Not sure if they are the kind of levers you would need.

    Donna O
    Participant

    Jodi, Go for the Troubadour. Transitioning from that to a folk harp is not difficult at all. I go back and forth between my two harps without any difficulty and I started on my Prelude 1st. The Troubadour is a great harp to begin on.
    DonnaO

    in reply to: Harp availability dilemma, and L&H Ogden advice #78229
    Donna O
    Participant

    Jodi,
    I have a L&H Pelude which has concert tension and spacing and performance levers. I love the levers as they do not distort the sound and are very quiet and easy to flip. They are harder on strings, but worth it. The Ogden has the same tension and spacing and also has gut strings. Those harps work best with more classsical
    Repetoire. I recently got a Dusty Crescendo also. It has all nylon strings and has medium tension and spacing. Celtic and traditional music sounds better on the Dusty. The Dusty is a little easier on the hands as you don’t need quite as much strength to play. That being said you can play all music on either harp. The Dusty is
    much brighter sounding and the L&H has a warmer mellow sound. It really depends on what you prefer and what type of music you want to play. I tried the Ravenna and the Crescedo and much preferred the Crescendo over the Ravenna. I also did not like the two tone finish.I love both of my harps for different reasons. It’s really hard to
    choose when you can’t try the harps. Good luck with your search.
    DonnaO

    in reply to: New Dusty Key with Tuner #113556
    Donna O
    Participant

    Sharon, I have a Snark tuner which is the same thing that is on the new dusty key.(less expensive, $15) If you do not need a new key, order the Snark and attach it to bottom of your key. I leave it attached to my key all the time. It works better than either of my Korgs. No pick up needed. It picks up those difficult high 1st octave strings. Also it works on sound or vibrations . Make sure to get the orange one if you go with the Snark. It is readily available on the internet. I didn’t want to give up my rubber coated key. Hope this helps.
    DonnaO

    in reply to: Harp to fit a compact sedan #78183
    Donna O
    Participant

    Robin,
    I drive a 2004 Camry and my Dusty Strings Crescendo 34 fits nicely in the back seat but it would not work in the trunk even with the back seats down. The back of the trunk has a very high lip to go over and the back seats do not fold down flat. So unless I had a very flexible (?) harp. it won’t fit. I cannot fit my L&H Prelude in this car at all because of that. Make sure you measure and try everything and don’t assume a larger harp will fit. That being said I am not sure what size a Salvi Heather is.
    Good Luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 158 total)