Donna O

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Baby Day by Bernard Andre #196240
    Donna O
    Participant

    Gretchen,  I found this on a CD called Baby Harp.  It looks like it was written for an ensemble.  You may need to look for it under his chamber music.

    <span class=”piecedata”>Baby Day, for harp ensemble by Bernard Andrès
    <span class=”piecehead”>Performer:</span>  The London Harp Sound ()
    <span class=”piecehead”>Orchestra/Ensemble:</span>  London Harp Sound
    <span class=”piecehead”>Period:</span> Contemporary
    </span> <span class=”piecedata”> <span class=”piecehead”>Length:</span> 9 Minutes 30 Secs.
    </span>

    in reply to: Baby Day by Bernard Andre #196237
    Donna O
    Participant

    Gretchen,  Can’t help with the Andres’ music but O Sleep my Pretty Baby arr. By Kondanassis is a lovely piece and fairly easy. It is in her DreamSeasons collection   Also: All the Pretty Little Horses.

    DonnaO

    in reply to: Shoulder replacement surgery #192423
    Donna O
    Participant

    Thanks Tomye, I understand that the PT is the key to full recovery. I think that I will be having the more traditional incision and repair rather than minimally invasive. I agree that the doctors have no idea what a harpist needs to do. Excellent idea about talking to a therapist before the surgery. I will try to do that.
    I have already stopped my lessons just before Christmas, so am trying to review pieces already learned but sometimes neglected, since I am not working on new material.

    in reply to: Shoulder replacement surgery #192420
    Donna O
    Participant

    llapidus, Thanks for that information. I understand recovery and PT are similar for both of our surgeries. I hope everything goes well for you. I too wish I was already on the other side of it.

    in reply to: Shoulder replacement surgery #192328
    Donna O
    Participant

    Alyson and Gretchen, Thank you both for your supportive words. I am already doing exercises in preparation for the surgery so hopefully that will work in my favor. Yes fortunately, it is my left shoulder. I plan to continue playing at least with my right hand while recovering. I have a Dusty Crescendo 34 which is much lighter than my Prelude and will work primarily on that while recovering.
    I have had two knee replacements in the past and so I am familiar with that recovery, but the estimates I have seen for shoulder recovery seem to be considerably longer than knees and way longer than hip replacement.

    in reply to: Shoulder replacement surgery #192324
    Donna O
    Participant

    Thans Patricia. I’m glad things worked out well for your son. Unfortunately, I have bone on bone arthritis of the shoulder joint. I have had physical therapy and several series of cortisone over the past two years and now have run out of options. I’m just worried about my ability to play the harp again.

    in reply to: Marion 34 vs. Dusty Strings 34 #192016
    Donna O
    Participant

    Thought I would chime in here. I have played both harps and ultimately went with the DS Crescendo.I preferred the resonance and tone of the Crescendo. One consideration for me was size. The DS fits in the back seat of my Toyota Camry, the Marion would not. I have had my Crescendo for two years now and have never regretted getting it. Both are nice harps and it really depends on what you prefer. I would definitely try them out if you are able to. Every harp sounds and feels different.
    A note re: Biago’s comment. I played several Ravennas and Crescendos side by side along with the FH (which I could not afford). There was no comparison between the sound. The Ravenna was much “plinkier” sounding to my ear and not nearly as pleasant. To each his own.

    in reply to: Star Wars theme #191804
    Donna O
    Participant

    Definitely not appropriate for Catholic ceremony. It looks like she is using pinky finger in right hand.

    in reply to: Lever harp etudes? #190681
    Donna O
    Participant

    Carl, I am glad to hear you are publishing a lever harp version. I look forward to seeing it in December.

    in reply to: Lever harp etudes? #190677
    Donna O
    Participant

    Angela,
    25 Easy Studies, Alfred Kastner. Out of print but edited by Kathy Bundock Moore. They are available at Kolacny music.com They are suitable for lever harp. Hope this helps.

    in reply to: Salzedo marking #189516
    Donna O
    Participant

    Square with dot =isolated sounds
    Scallops= pdlt guitarric sounds

    in reply to: harp lights #189139
    Donna O
    Participant

    Jerusha,
    Those lights are available from musicmakers http://www.harpkit.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MK&Product_Code=ledset&Category_Code=.
    Hope this is what you are looking for. While I have not used them myself, I saw them in use on Kim Robertson’s harp and they seemed to do a good job.

    in reply to: String Cutters #188248
    Donna O
    Participant

    Eliza, I use rubber handled wire cutters I purchased at the hardware store. They are full sized and will cut anything from nylon to gut to your largest wires. I concur with Gretchen, brand doesn’t matter as long as they are sharp.

    in reply to: Stoney End or MusicMakers harp? #187871
    Donna O
    Participant

    Kasey,
    I have played the 29 string Brauwen harp and it is lovely and very well made. The tone was beautiful and it would certainly be a lovely harp to own. It is also much more portable than the Voyager. However, that being said if you like the sound of the Voyager as well as the Brauwen then I would always choose the harp with more strings. When I played the Brauwen I kept reaching for bass strings that weren’t there. You would certainly have to adapt music more for the Brauwen. It really boils down to select the harp you love.
    DonnaO

    in reply to: Future harpest who's blind. #187385
    Donna O
    Participant

    Biago,
    I have to put my two cents in for what it’s worth. The DS FH34 is a wonderful sounding harp but it’s pricey especially if you want it for a second harp. When I wanted to purchase a second harp I intended to purchase a Ravenna but was unhappy with the tone. I finally purchased a new Crescendo 34 which I bought about 16 months ago. I got the harp, case and stand for approx 3200 with tax (Wi.) Here’s what I subjectively think ( I realize I am not tech savy). The Crescendo has far better tone than the Ravenna34 but not as good as the FH34. It projects really well and the upper registers are far better sounding than the Ravenna. I have played the Crescendo with the local orchestra and have been able to hold my own with the woodwinds. I would certainly have opted for a FH 34 budget permitting but I think you are not giving enough credit to the quality and sound of the Crescendo 34. I tried all 3 models and the FH 34 in both Walnut and Bubinga before selecting my Crescendo 34. It does look like there has been a price increase in the Crescendo since I purchased mine. Maybe I just got lucky with the harp I purchased. I do realize each harp is different.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 158 total)