column

Dusty Strings FH34 or Blevins Consort 34?

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Dusty Strings FH34 or Blevins Consort 34?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rachael Rosenbaum
    Participant

Im now looking at two harps, the Dusty Strings FH34 and Blevins Consort 34. Does the higher price tag of the Dusty really indicate a better sounding, longer lasting instrument?

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

Rachael, both are exceptional instruments and I would be happy to play and own either. I personally own 2 Blevins: an Encore 34, and Gwendolyn 29 and they are excellent. I have done business with both Dusty and Blevins, and they have been honorable in their dealings with me. It may be a matter of playing the particular instrument and seeing which one sings to you! My Encore is going on 11 years old, and I have had zero issues with it. Best of luck. I don’t think you can go wrong with either. I don’t know if this is a first instrument for you, but if it is, the words of wisdom someone once gave me….”Your first harp won’t necessarily be your last harp.”

Rachael Rosenbaum
    Participant

Thanks so much, this response was helpful! I’m going to try out some different ones in a harp sharp a few hours away, hopefully soon!

Rachael Rosenbaum
    Participant

It’s actually not my first, but it will be the first I hope to play before buying, and the other real harps I’ve bought have been at least 19 years old upon purchase, whereas this one may be new or lightly used :0) Exciting!

Heart says DUSTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, but brain says try them both and see which one you like. Let us know which one you pick!

Rachael Rosenbaum
    Participant

Thanks Mae :0) I was just offered a 10-year-old rental harp, an Encore 34, for $1,900…it is apparently in very good condition… I’d rather not go with a ten-year-old harp, but what do you all think?

Donna O
    Participant

Rachel, when I was looking for my harp, I contacted Dwight Blevins re 2 10 yr old rental harps and he wrote back saying that assuming the harp was in reasonably good condition for a rental that it was worth between $1200 to $1500. (a Meadowwind and an Encore) A harp that been out on rental is not always taken care of the way we would take care of it. Just be cautious. I opted for a new Dusty because of the sound and the 5 yr warranty. If you have can have an experienced harp tech look at the Blevins you will have a better idea of what it is worth

Rachael Rosenbaum
    Participant

BS”D

Ooh. Gee thanks, Donna. These things are seldom simple, are they??

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies