catherine-rogers

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 584 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Liability Insurance #185785
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I have it through The Hartford. It isn’t very expensive.

    in reply to: Movie: The Harpist #185715
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Is it available for purchase?

    in reply to: Style 100 Semi-grand to Concert Grand #185284
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Probably the quickest way to be sure is to contact Lyon & Healy. They’re usually very helpful with such info. Just ask what year the 100 was first offered as a concert grand. 😉

    in reply to: Magazine #185142
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Received mine a few days ago. They don’t all hit the mailbox at the same time; thank the postal service for that. One of my friends here in town still hasn’t received her copy. They’re out there and yours should arrive soon. Enjoy!

    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Try to have as much light as possible on the strings. That may help some.

    in reply to: Long-term effects of no regular maintenance on a harp #183504
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Not changing strings or being regulated doesn’t affect the structural condition of a harp, but lack of maintenance could indicate lack of care. If it has just sat in a room for years and not been abused, it could be in better shape than a well-used harp that’s been dragged to every gig in town. Have it checked out by a harp tech if you can. The buyer should set aside the cost of new strings and regulation in the money he or she will need to invest in this one.

    in reply to: Music suggestions wanted! #144428
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Well, there’s “I Love Paris” and “C’est Magnifique” by Cole Porter and “Under Paris Skies” by Frank Chacksfield. Anything by Ravel, Debussy and Satie?

    in reply to: Good bye Everybody (Basel) #144289
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Dear Basel, keeping you and your family in my prayers always. Be safe. Please try to keep in touch. Do not worry, there is a harp in your future.

    in reply to: Forum Migration in Progress #143738
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Where can I find the old “read-only” forums? Thanks!

    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Years ago we bought a piece of 3/4 inch plywood that is 3 ft. by 4 ft. We covered it completely (both sides, all edges) with green astro-turf which can be swept off or hosed off if needed. The harp, bench and I just fit on this (it’s a tight fit); it is the largest size that would fit in my original van; I could carry a longer one now but this suffices. It stays in the van all the time. If it were longer it might be too difficult to move.

    I have put it down on dirt, pinestraw, gravel, etc. You do still need to find a level place to put it because you don’t want the harp to feel like it’s falling on you or away from you. I can roll the carted harp up on it to unload the harp. I tuck the bench behind the harp if I’m not there to keep it from tipping, just in case; a wise precaution anytime you’re outdoors, regardless of the surface.

    It’s not too heavy to carry if you don’t have far to walk (wear gloves); I have a harp cart with a large shelf so I sometimes carry it on that after the harp is at the site (still covered). It’s thick enough not to bend or crack under my weight plus the weight of a concert grand and bench, but I weigh about 100 lbs., so may not work for everyone. Obviously it’s not meant to serve as a “bridge” over any large gaps. There’s room on the board beside you for a stand or you can put the stand on the ground. The larger the harp, the more you may need to angle placement on the board. If you have long legs, you may need a longer board. Measure on the floor the minimum set-up space you need and see if that will fit in the back of your vehicle. Good luck!

    in reply to: How often should you change your spares? #142796
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Nylon strings last longer (assuming they’re kept in a comfortable environment, not exposed to extreme temperatures) than gut strings. They should still be fine. If your harp is normally strung with nylons, use them next time you change all the strings and order a new set for spare. Then you can rotate each time you change them all.

    in reply to: Charging someone for replacing their harp strings #142740
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    It’s your time and only you know what it’s worth to you (plus the gas to get there). Be sure she understands that the harp won’t stay in tune after just one or two tunings if it hasn’t been maintained in ten years.

    in reply to: Business Liability Insurance #133586
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I believe business liability just protects you in case someone is injured by your equipment (example: tripping over your extension cord) or slips and falls in your home, that kind of thing. It’s to protect your assets in case someone sues you, not your equipment. If you’re a pro and haul your stuff to jobs, that’s what Anderson insures: your harp and related tools. Someone correct me if I have that wrong.

    in reply to: injured toe while practising in bare feet #120734
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    My teacher always advised practicing in closed-toe shoes because the pedal can really hurt if it gets caught between your toes and the sole during rapid pedal changes. Speaking from painful experience, she was right!

    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I just saw a clip of that performance on youtube (such a resource!). Couldn’t find a credit for the harpist on the IMDB but if I had to guess, I would say the playing was by Robert Maxwell, because I have a recording of him playing “St. Louis Blues” that sounds just like that arrangement. Clifton Webb did a very nice job of faking. Maxwell (or whoever really played it) probably coached him.

    David Ice is our resident expert on harp in the movies and probably knows the answer. I bow to his expertise.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 584 total)