catherine-rogers

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 584 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: One of the most sad days in these 3 years for me #113576
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    We are keeping you in our prayers.

    in reply to: AHS Interviews-Ray Poole #113561
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Yes, they’re fascinating! I’d love to see/hear more of them, especially with harpists who are no longer with us.

    in reply to: Okay, here’s a new one…. #62915
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I don’t know what the equation is but I’m certain there is one. The result is this: the more work you put into a special (unpaid) request, the more ungrateful the client will be. Never seems to fail. And when someone suddenly wants an audio recording, I always wonder if they want to try to use that instead of me. Once they have it, you never know what it will be used for in the future.

    in reply to: Reinecke Concerto #62182
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    This should take you right to it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD1qyzuTlow

    in reply to: So you think renting harps is easy??? #113007
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Believe it or not, Judge Judy was recently the guest programmer on Turner Classic Movies! And she chose one of my favorites, “The Goodbye Girl.”

    in reply to: How to tell when you have a false string? #77937
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    If a string registers correctly on a tuner when played normally but not when you play a harmonic on it, it is usually false. If your tuner has a needle display it may be harder to detect, but if you use a stroboscopic display, it should be obvious. Strings are false when they are not uniformly round, either from wear or from manufacturing defect. Has nothing to do with the regulation. A false string will not regulate properly.

    in reply to: Duet for Harp-4 hands by Marie-Martin Marcel Marin #62138
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Two players could sit on opposite sides of the harp, but it seems pretty impractical.

    in reply to: Piano parts on harp? #113368
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Good for you, Sid!

    in reply to: 2010 directory of AHS #113359
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Yes, Carl, I’m not very good with computers but that little thing I was happy to do for him. I think of him and his family every day and all people who are affected by wars.

    in reply to: 2010 directory of AHS #113355
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Will try to send now. Praying for you and your family.

    in reply to: Holiday story featuring the harp? #113313
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    This is in an old book of Christmas stories from my childhood. You can read it here:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/23735/23735-h/23735-h.htm#THE_PROMISE

    in reply to: Contracts for church gigs? #62709
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Years ago when I had a restaurant job (ah, those were the days!), I didn’t want anyone messing with the harp when I wasn’t there (I played at night but the restaurant was open for lunch). So I put a couple grommets in the bottom of the cover at the zipper to hold a padlock so the cover couldn’t be removed unless you knew the combination. Worked great!

    in reply to: best comment yet #113250
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    On many jobs I’ve been asked “Is that your harp?” so I guess many people may think it’s rented for the occasion, perhaps by the venue or client, as a piano might be. They’re wondering if they would have to provide one if they hired a harpist. Of course the other question you always get, which I try to avoid answering directly, is how much it costs. The average non-harpist has no frame of reference so we really can’t blame them for asking, although it’s a tacky question.

    in reply to: Many Moods of Christmas Harp Parts #62754
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Thank goodness someone’s finally done this! I thought about it but didn’t have the time. Thanks, David!

    in reply to: Dropbox for music files #112681
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    What do you think of the newest update for forScore for iOS 7? I didn’t like what the iOS 7 update looks like on my iPad, so I haven’t used it on my iPhone. Should I let it update forScore or leave it alone?

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 584 total)