column

For Heaven’s Sake Clifton Webb as a harp playing angel?

Home Forums Coffee Break For Heaven’s Sake Clifton Webb as a harp playing angel?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

This movie is showing on one of the classical movie stations, and the harp is appearing as a co-star. Does anyone have any comments about the use of the harp in the film?

I’m a bit of a buff for the movie making of that era, and I don’t think I’ve ever run across this one.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

I just saw a clip of that performance on youtube (such a resource!). Couldn’t find a credit for the harpist on the IMDB but if I had to guess, I would say the playing was by Robert Maxwell, because I have a recording of him playing “St. Louis Blues” that sounds just like that arrangement. Clifton Webb did a very nice job of faking. Maxwell (or whoever really played it) probably coached him.

David Ice is our resident expert on harp in the movies and probably knows the answer. I bow to his expertise.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

A jazz harp foundation newsletter (2012) credits Robert Maxwell as the movie’s harpist. The clip is great! And I agree that Clifton Webb was very credible as a harpist.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I really like Robert Maxwell’s arrangements so I did a little more searching via google. There are some headlines and news clips saying Robert Maxwell spent two days prepping Clifton Webb. Rumor had it that Maxwell was paid $100 an hour. I wish I could get paid that now:) It was really a small fortune when the movie was filmed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.