harpcolumn

For Heaven’s Sake Clifton Webb as a harp playing angel?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break For Heaven’s Sake Clifton Webb as a harp playing angel?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

This movie is showing on one of the classical movie stations, and the harp is appearing as a co-star. Does anyone have any comments about the use of the harp in the film?

I’m a bit of a buff for the movie making of that era, and I don’t think I’ve ever run across this one.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

I just saw a clip of that performance on youtube (such a resource!). Couldn’t find a credit for the harpist on the IMDB but if I had to guess, I would say the playing was by Robert Maxwell, because I have a recording of him playing “St. Louis Blues” that sounds just like that arrangement. Clifton Webb did a very nice job of faking. Maxwell (or whoever really played it) probably coached him.

David Ice is our resident expert on harp in the movies and probably knows the answer. I bow to his expertise.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

A jazz harp foundation newsletter (2012) credits Robert Maxwell as the movie’s harpist. The clip is great! And I agree that Clifton Webb was very credible as a harpist.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I really like Robert Maxwell’s arrangements so I did a little more searching via google. There are some headlines and news clips saying Robert Maxwell spent two days prepping Clifton Webb. Rumor had it that Maxwell was paid $100 an hour. I wish I could get paid that now:) It was really a small fortune when the movie was filmed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies