catherine-rogers

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 584 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: lyon&healy chicago concert grand?? #74497
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Camac uses carbon fibre integrated with the wood in some parts of its harps, particularly the soundboard, column, neck. The way it’s used has varied over the years as the factory continues to tweak its designs. The harps are strong but lighter weight than comparably sized harps. The sound is good or great, depending on the individual instrument, as with every other manufacturer.

    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    As long as the harp doesn’t get wet from rain or spray, it should be okay. Get there (maybe an hour) early so the harp can acclimate to the temperature and humidity before tuning, and be prepared to tune 2 or 3 times before it holds.

    in reply to: what type and color of flooring for harping #150448
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    My harp room has cherry flooring, which is a medium dark brown. I find the strings show well against it. Most important is a good light source. Although the harp is not in direct sunlight, when the sun shines through the window, it illuminates the strings and the music, and the strings almost glow, which is very helpful.

    in reply to: Harp markings for Finale program #150483
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    There is a clef tool on the main tool palette (my version is 2008). Why not open a new blank document and experiment with the clef tool before working on your real manuscript? You can also use the help menu (pull down from top right of the screen) to access detailed info on use of each tool and how to find it.

    in reply to: Traveling with my harp overseas #108326
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    You might be able to borrow a trunk for your pedal harp. Get a wooden one, not one of the old fibreglass ones, so any damage will be immediately apparent. As far as I know, there are no trunks for Preludes, although you could purchase one of Lyon & Healy’s shipping cartons. Such cartons are also sold for pedal harps.

    Frankly, if traveling by air, I would NEVER fly my harp anywhere on any carrier. Set up a rental at your destination if at all possible.

    in reply to: wire string replacement #74580
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    If the packaging has not been opened, they should be fine. Wires are a lot more durable than gut strings.

    in reply to: Music Notation Software #74601
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Try Finale Notepad. You can get it free online. It’s simple and easy to use.

    in reply to: Dale Barco #148000
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    He was such a swell guy and such fun to talk to. I have fond memories of Dale at a harp conference sharing photos with us of the Lyon & Healy 3 he rebuilt for Jack Nebergall. What an artist!

    in reply to: I have something to say #108357
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I thought you meant the president of the American Harp Society! Guess I have a one-track mind!

    in reply to: Short Orchestra Rehearsals? #150625
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I have been to at least one rehearsal where it was decided (after I had set up and tuned and sat through the rehearsal waiting) that they would not rehearse the one piece I was playing on after all. Talk about a waste of time and gas! I don’t remember now whether it was college orchestra or community orchestra, but it was a group for which I did not get paid, so there was not even that compensation for my inconvenience.

    in reply to: Playing too loudly in groups? #150632
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    I used to play for musicals at a local college (loved it but they’re doing shows with no harp part lately). The singers had body mikes and it isn’t a terribly large hall, but the conductor was always telling the orchestra “hold it down, play softer.” Ultimately it’s the conductor’s call and the conductor’s responsibility. Maybe if all of you went to him together, he would get the message and have the electric instruments turn down their amplifiers. Good luck.

    in reply to: Music written (or arranged) for harp & spoken word #108391
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Well, I’m barely five feet (on a good day!). I got a Lyon & Healy 23 concert grand and a 17 semi-grand when I was young. I still use the 23 occasionally for orchestra when necessary, but since 1999 I’ve been primarily playing a Camac Clio. I even use it for orchestra when the music fits its range, because the extended soundboard is as wide as my 23 (I measured it). The sound carries very well and my conductor has no preference which harp I use as long as he can hear me.

    I think the 23 is more difficult to play now than when I was young because I realize I was probably twisting my body somewhat to reach the pedals while sitting high enough. My bench for that harp is 23 inches high–as high as it will go. The Camac fits me better, especially reaching the A pedal, and I like the extra room in the first octave for my hand. And when I’m sitting on the bench not playing, my feet touch the floor!

    That being said, the 17 fits me pretty comfortably. But the Clio is even more comfortable–for me.

    Some petite harpists I know like the Salvi Sinfonietta, which was a smaller concert grand. Unfortunately they’re no longer made, but used ones can be had. Can’t tell you how their weight compares to a Lyon & Healy concert grand, but the whole frame was just a little more compact so the reach was slightly less.

    in reply to: Olympic Harps!!! #108428
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    Gee, Hannah, I have a great 17 for sale. You’re not anywhere near Atlanta, are you?

    in reply to: Olympic Harps!!! #108427
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    It may be not just the size but also the weight. Would you consider a Camac Clio? 44 strings, extended board 57 lbs., straight board 55 lbs. With the extended board, the sound is bigger than you’d expect, and it weighs less than other 44-string harps.

    in reply to: Olympic Harps!!! #108421
    catherine-rogers
    Participant

    As another petite harpist, be sure you’re sitting high enough (wear high heels if you have trouble reaching the A pedal) so the harp isn’t putting too much weight on you. Every harp has a balance point, and you want to sit just a bit behind that so it doesn’t fall forward. Then imagine yourself in one of those adjustable car seats that moves up, down, back and forth. You need to find the best place for you to sit that is high enough for normal playing position (so your outstretched arms are approximately in the middle of the strings), low enough to reach the pedals, and close enough to the harp so its weight is balanced on your shoulder, but not so close you feel like it’s going to get away from you. When you’re small, it’s tough to find that spot. An adjustable bench is very important.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 584 total)