Traveling with my harp overseas

Posted In: Coffee Break

• Participant
    Miriam Shilling on #108323

I may have to travel overseas with my harp.

Participant
    Jeannine – JP Parker on #108324

What kind of harp do you play, and where overseas are you going?

Participant
    Miriam Shilling on #108325

Full-sized pedal harp or my Prelude lever, and somewhere in Europe, perhaps Luxembourg.

Participant
    catherine-rogers on #108326

You might be able to borrow a trunk for your pedal harp. Get a wooden one, not one of the old fibreglass ones, so any damage will be immediately apparent. As far as I know, there are no trunks for Preludes, although you could purchase one of Lyon & Healy’s shipping cartons. Such cartons are also sold for pedal harps.

Frankly, if traveling by air, I would NEVER fly my harp anywhere on any carrier. Set up a rental at your destination if at all possible.

Participant
    Miriam Shilling on #108327

Yes, that’s what I was hoping to do, too (rent).

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #108328

Actually, you can have a harp foamed and crated (this is how the pedal harp companies ship these days) and that’s really preferable to an old fashioned trunk, but I wouldn’t ship the harp unless you plan to be there a long, long time (years). There are several harp stores in Belgium and the Netherlands, both of which are convenient for Luxembourg (nothing is far in Benelux):

OTJA Harpcenter

Bennebroekerlaan 35a

2121 GR Benenbroek

THE NETHERLANDS

and

VIEGAS HARP

Jan Bolstraat 23

2800 Mechelen

BELGIUM

and

http://www.crescendo-music.com/

for starters. I’d talk them about rentals.

Participant
    barbara-brundage on #108329

There’s also a largish harp store in Bruges that carries the complete camac line, but I don’t have the contact info at hand.

Participant
    Miriam Shilling on #108330

I also have a very close friend living in Luxembourg who is friends with a harpist there.

Participant
    Jessica A on #108331

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

If you’re traveling with a musical instrument, and you haven’t seen this, kick back and laugh.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.