harpcolumn

Traveling with my harp overseas

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Traveling with my harp overseas

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Miriam Shilling
    Participant

I may have to travel overseas with my harp.

What kind of harp do you play, and where overseas are you going?

Miriam Shilling
    Participant

Full-sized pedal harp or my Prelude lever, and somewhere in Europe, perhaps Luxembourg.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

You might be able to borrow a trunk for your pedal harp. Get a wooden one, not one of the old fibreglass ones, so any damage will be immediately apparent. As far as I know, there are no trunks for Preludes, although you could purchase one of Lyon & Healy’s shipping cartons. Such cartons are also sold for pedal harps.

Frankly, if traveling by air, I would NEVER fly my harp anywhere on any carrier. Set up a rental at your destination if at all possible.

Miriam Shilling
    Participant

Yes, that’s what I was hoping to do, too (rent).

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Actually, you can have a harp foamed and crated (this is how the pedal harp companies ship these days) and that’s really preferable to an old fashioned trunk, but I wouldn’t ship the harp unless you plan to be there a long, long time (years). There are several harp stores in Belgium and the Netherlands, both of which are convenient for Luxembourg (nothing is far in Benelux):

OTJA Harpcenter

Bennebroekerlaan 35a

2121 GR Benenbroek

THE NETHERLANDS

and

VIEGAS HARP

Jan Bolstraat 23

2800 Mechelen

BELGIUM

and

http://www.crescendo-music.com/

for starters. I’d talk them about rentals.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

There’s also a largish harp store in Bruges that carries the complete camac line, but I don’t have the contact info at hand.

Miriam Shilling
    Participant

I also have a very close friend living in Luxembourg who is friends with a harpist there.

Jessica A
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

If you’re traveling with a musical instrument, and you haven’t seen this, kick back and laugh.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.