harpcolumn

what type and color of flooring for harping

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists what type and color of flooring for harping

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hello

We are in the finishing stages of a room primarily for harping. I need some suggestions for wood flooring colors. I was leaning more towards the light oak in order to keep the strings in good sight. Any useful suggestions? Thanks.

catherine-rogers
    Participant

My harp room has cherry flooring, which is a medium dark brown. I find the strings show well against it. Most important is a good light source. Although the harp is not in direct sunlight, when the sun shines through the window, it illuminates the strings and the music, and the strings almost glow, which is very helpful.

andy-b
    Participant

I also have medium-dark wood floors, and don’t have a problem seeing the strings. I do have a lamp situated behind me and to the left so it illuminates the music stand and strings, though.

Charles
    Participant

The hardwoods in my last house were a dark espresso.

It was great the clear story windows filtered all the light in the room by day.

For evenings the lighting plan was such that the harp area was lit as well as the

art on the walls.

Charles

kreig-kitts

I had a teacher with a highly figured wood, lots of contrast between dark and light grains, and the strings just disappeared if you were playing at a certain angle. So be careful with a wood that creates too many straight lines.

I prefer a darker background. Sometimes the wood colour is so closely matched to the strings that they don’t stand out well.

Avoid red and blonde, colors that match the strings. Patterns can also be distracting.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.