Playing too loudly in groups?

• Participant
    Miriam Shilling on #150630

I had an experience last night

Participant
    onita-sanders on #150631

I know there are many schools of thought on this. Some would stick to their guns and do what they feel is true to there own standards and let others appreciate where they are coming from and

Participant
    catherine-rogers on #150632

I used to play for musicals at a local college (loved it but they’re doing shows with no harp part lately). The singers had body mikes and it isn’t a terribly large hall, but the conductor was always telling the orchestra “hold it down, play softer.” Ultimately it’s the conductor’s call and the conductor’s responsibility. Maybe if all of you went to him together, he would get the message and have the electric instruments turn down their amplifiers. Good luck.

Participant
    Miriam Shilling on #150633

Lately, I’ve learned it’s not worth getting frustrated, as you said, it IS the conductor’s call.

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #150634

It should be simple enough to turn down the amplification of the electric instruments. Unless you have an electric harp, I would just play normally. I would not let them put a microphone inside your harp. They can put a mic above it and in front and that will pick up some sound. I can’t stand for music to get louder, so I would say it should get softer, but not many people seem to think that way. Why don’t you show these posts to the conductor?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.