Briggsie B. Peawiggle

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 717 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Harp cars #109582

    When I bought my current car, the salesman made that offer to me. The thing was, I live about 35 miles from the dealer, and I really didn’t want to drive home, load the harp, unload the harp and drive back all within 3 hours’ time. What I did was measure the length of the back of my Subaru and then measure the length of the back of the Element I was considering. The Element had a couple more inches, so I knew it would work, and it does.

    I was told a concert grand will not fit into a CRV. I’m not sure an 85P is any shorter than a full concert grand harp….probably is…..but the CRV doesn’t have too much space in the back compared to some other cars used commonly to haul harps.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Camac Trianon 47, lyon healy style 23 #75074

    I have played several 23’s and am not too impressed…..but there must be a wonderful one or two out there somewhere. 🙂 Seriously, they are big harps, but the ones I have played haven’t sounded “even” across the octaves for my taste or had particularly lovely tones. Camac harps — in the US it isn’t hard to find technicians. Yes, you can “regulate” the length of the pedal cables by yourself, but I still have my Athena regulated yearly by Tom Bell. He checks over everything on the harp.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Unusual harp playing style..?? #107893

    He sure is. I took a screen shot of it and flipped it so that it was the opposite direction. The harp shows on his right shoulder but is backwards with the tuning pegs on the wrong side…..so he IS playing it on the opposite shoulder from normal. Weird!

    Briggsie

    in reply to: L&H Shamrock 34 or a Dusty String Crescendo 34, Help! #160624

    I didn’t see that Michaela said anything negative. Sorry you did.

    Briggs

    in reply to: L&H Shamrock 34 or a Dusty String Crescendo 34, Help! #160620

    Are we not allowed to dislike Dusty’s on here?

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Building a school harp program #85747

    I believe they played just outside the exhibit hall and also inside the exhibit hall at the AHS Detroit last summer. If so, they were quite good.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Do rings get in the way? #109555

    I don’t want to wrap anything on my ring. I just slip it off and put it in my pocket and put it on again when done. It’s not the slipping thing….it’s the horrible buzzing thing. And I also can’t stand a watch, Andy. I’m with you on that. I can’t stand any jewelry at all …..even earrings and necklace bug me because I don’t want to think about anything except me and the harp as one. 🙂

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Do rings get in the way? #109548

    Even my simple gold band gets in the way when I am doing a muffle on the strings….bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It’s awful. I have to remember to take it off. My harp teacher wears her wedding band on her right hand. Most Europeans do that anyway, so it doesn’t really make any difference and it’s easier to play….and she plays all the time.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Lever flipping #160582

    Jennifer,

    Are you anywhere near Owego, NY? Meredith Bocek has some Webster harps you could try….Webster Harps

    Lookie!

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Broken Strings Camac Melusine #160690

    I should knock on wood as I have

    in reply to: Weirdest Wedding Processional Request #106306

    Kay,

    Correct liturgy in the Catholic faith still disallows “show tunes” during a wedding ceremony. Sometimes things slip through because it is “only” the processional or recessional, but technically it is still not supposed to happen. Yet, each parish seems to do their own thing these days. Twirling bridesmaids is truly “beyond the pale” to me.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Weirdest Wedding Processional Request #106305

    That would have been the best….to hear the words as well, although most Catholics (and this was a small Catholic wedding) know the words. I asked them, “Are you SURE you want that for your processional?” The groom seemed to be the one who was the most insistent and emphatic about it. HAHAHAHAHAHA…….

    I played it for them. They were really nice people…..but I just found it kind of odd. Generally, that is used for funerals. 🙂

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Weirdest Wedding Processional Request #106299

    As an organist, “Be Not Afraid.” It just cracked me up.

    Another time in an Italian church, they wanted “Theme from the Godfather.” The priest said emphatically “NO!”

    Briggsie

    in reply to: THe Perfect Harp Car #145290

    Sorry Phoebe. I was responding to the Ford Flex post. I know you can fit harps easily into an Odyssey.

    Briggsie

    in reply to: Stoney End Owners #160879

    Hi Susan,

    I got my lap bar from:

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 717 total)