harpcolumn

Unusual harp playing style..??

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Unusual harp playing style..??

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Is this a very different style of harp playing? I’m not sure if the video was taken in a mirror and we see the reflection? I’ve just never seen or know anyone to play on the “opposite” side of a harp before… Is this usual? Is this a South American style? I think the video is in Italian though – it says something about “Roma” and “celtic arpa”… Sorry for my ignorance here – any answers/thoughts would be appreciated!

Wow.

He sure is. I took a screen shot of it and flipped it so that it was the opposite direction. The harp shows on his right shoulder but is backwards with the tuning pegs on the wrong side…..so he IS playing it on the opposite shoulder from normal. Weird!

Briggsie

Chris Asmann
    Participant

Playing on the left shouder is in the Gaelic tradition, and these players usually use their fingernails rather than the pads of their fingers.

I

Geri McQuillen
    Participant

Yes, the Gaelic wire-harp tradition is to play with the harp resting on the left shoulder, playing treble with left hand and bass with the right.

Tacye
    Participant

Some Welsh players in the 19th century would apparently play pedal harps on the right shoulder.

Tacye
    Participant

I seem to have a problem telling left from right- oops!

Mel Sandberg
    Participant

Tacye This issue has been raised in a thread before, but I don’t remember who posted it.

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

Robin Huw Bowen plays his triple harp on his left shoulder.

katerina
    Participant

That is normal. I once made a harp for the left-hander, already not a child, who wanted to play but felt hopeless with normal instrument. He is happy now.
    I play my triple harp on right shoulder (being originally left-hander), but sometimes train to play oppositely. Very nice exersise for coordination and thinking. And nice joking trick on the stage.

Giulio Care
    Participant

Dear William, my name is giulio carè and I come from rome. About unusual harp to play harp I can say something; I used to play for 7 year and I learn to play in the opposite side. I want to say that I take the harp with the bass chords near my body and treble far; with my head on the right and harp on left shoulder. Am I a fool ? May be. But it works. I let you a very bad video that is the only on you tube. Let me know your comments…
    Best
    From Giulio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGXMRdmzDSQ

laurie-rasmussen
    Participant

The harpist in this video is an Italian, Andrea Piazza. He lives in San Gimignano where he can frequently be found playing in the main piazza. I got to know him when I lived in Florence a few years back. He plays a single-action Tyrolean harp. He does have a unique style of playing on the left shoulder but he doesn’t switch the hands so the right still plays treble and left plays the bass. I can’t remember why he does this but I believe he was influenced by RĂĽdiger Oppermann who also plays this way.

laurie-rasmussen
    Participant

I forgot to add… Andrea Piazza’s single-action Tyrolean harp is made by Fischer:

http://www.musikhaus-fackler.de/fisherharps/startpage/startframe.htm

Giulio Care
    Participant

I knew Andrea Piazza too, in San Gimignano. I used to play with him a strange kind of “four hands harp performance”, as I take the harp on the other side.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies