harpcolumn

L&H Shamrock 34 or a Dusty String Crescendo 34, Help!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists L&H Shamrock 34 or a Dusty String Crescendo 34, Help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I currently play a Paki 29 rosewood harp and it has been a great entry to the harp world. But we are looking for a better harp. I love the looks of the L&H Shamrock

unknown-user
    Participant

Do you have any chance to play either?

Leigh Griffith
    Participant

Have you checked out other makes? I’m thinking of Blevins and Triplett, but there are others, too. Don’t rush into a decision, and save more while you are looking. I searched extensively for two years online while I was saving and then traveled to Somerset and played harps all day before I finally decided on mine. Blevins wasn’t at Somerset, so I didn’t get to try any of those, but I am happy with my Triplett Sierra 34. I didn’t like the Crescendo because it didn’t have the Camac levers, didn’t have the same resonance, and was harder for me to reach around (I have very short arms). Even with the slight “staving” of the back I could not reach the two lowest strings.

I also think that with new, you aren’t inheriting previous bumps and dings whose consequences are yet to be seen. I don’t know what the warranty is on the CPO harps, but I do like Triplett’s seven year warranty.

Just some stuff to consider.
    Happy hunting!
    Leigh

andy-b
    Participant

Hi, Dennis: I was just at the Atlanta Harp Center this weekend, and they have a Crescendo 34 in stock now for $2995, I believe it had been used as a rental harp. I haven’t tried a Shamrock, so I couldn’t tell you how the sound compares, but you could ask them

brook-boddie
    Participant

Dennis,

I’ve played both a Shamrock and a Crescendo 34, and the sound of the Crescendo 34 was much nicer to my ears.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

And as someone who owns one of Brook’s harps (a Dusty 36S with a beautiful, projecting tone) I can testify to the fact that he is a great judge of a harp’s sound.

Jerusha

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

Hi Dennis,

I can understand and relate to wanting a harp that not only sounds great, but is aesthetically pleasing as well, an I encourage you to not settle for a harp unless you find that both of your requirements are met (chances are too great that you won’t be happy with your purchase afterwards).

I can’t speak for the two specific harp models you are considering. But I would encourage you to check out the Triplett Signature that was mentioned in another posting, because that is in EXCELLENT price for a full size, professional quality harp. Also, you might want to check out the Used Harps for Sale on this site. I just looked and found a used Thormahlen Cygnet for $3000. The Cygnets are very beautiful harps in both sound and looks, and again, that’s an excellent price.

In my opinion, if you end up having to wait 8 months for harp which you don’t seem that excited about in the first place, why even go there? There is nothing wrong with buying a used harp, as long as it is in good condition and you like it. And with your budget, you may end up getting a lot more bang for your buck in the long run.

Michaela

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I’m curious as to why there is such a waiting time for the Dusty?

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

I vote for the Dusty.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Sidney,

I recently played a Merlin R-Harp.

Michaela Braveman
    Participant

Did you see the Crescendo on the Harp Connection site: http://www.harpconnection.com/harpstore/harp-Crescendo.html

Maria Myers
    Participant

Leigh,

I’ve heard and played a Triplett, and it was just great–in looks and sound.

Another suggestion much closer to your price range is the Heartland Dreamweaver.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I have played a Crescendo (a friend has one, and my local music store also keeps one on the floor)…the sound is absolutely lucsious!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I have to add that the Dusties are no more “produced in the masses” than are the Lyon & Healies, the Tripletts, the Blevins, the Stoney Ends, the Heartlands, the William Rees’s, or any number of other fine instruments.

Audrey

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.